The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Default Fixing Old Chip Board Case

I found this neat dreadnought chipboard case at a thrift store for $2 USD. The only problem with the case is there is a tear (as seen in the photo) by one of the latches. Other than that, the case is in fairly good shape. I was wondering what the best way to fix this?
Thanks a lot!!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/LH3zxu]
Old 09-12-2016, 10:46 AM

I believe black duct tape would be the appropriate repair.
et al
Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 PM

Epoxy. Where it is broken like that you can reinforce with fabric or vinyl. You hold it together with masking tape while the epoxy sets. Be careful when removing the tape so you don't tear the surface of the chipboard.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:38 AM

I'd fasten it together from the outside with blue painters tape then make the glue repair from the inside. Two-part epoxy and fiberglass would make a nice fix. (Remove the blue tape after the epoxy sets.)

Then black fabric tape on the outside. Voilą, you have a barely-visible repair.

If you replace the ripped stitching, we'll know you have OCD

I have one of these cases in the spare room. Good to have in a pinch, worth $40 new and $25 used.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:08 PM

I have a question... when did they start calling these chip board? Have they always been called that? What they really are is heavy cardboard laminated with vinyl sheet. In the construction business chip board is a board product made of wood chips and glue. It's very heavy and would never be used for a guitar case
Old 09-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguitar View Post
I have a question... when did they start calling these chip board? Have they always been called that? What they really are is heavy cardboard laminated with vinyl sheet. In the construction business chip board is a board product made of wood chips and glue. It's very heavy and would never be used for a guitar case
I've seen many of them made of chip-board/press-board. It doesn't have to be thick. I believe you're right in that the cheapest ones are cardboard but I have had several cases that were made from pressed wood fibers and they weren't heavy at all.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguitar View Post
The store I taught lessons for, as well as the place I bought my first guitar called them cardboard cases. Probably not to the customer's faces, but the sales staff would say that in the back room or whatever.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:06 PM

Default I have one from a 1965 Harmony Sovereign

I have a 1965 Harmony with what I would call a cardboard case; I was going to throw the case out - I am pretty sure it is no original but I found some Gibson guitar polish that says on the bottle it was made in Kalamazoo in the case (which I will hang onto... the question after my rambling - old cardboard cases are not worth the space in the closest correct?
Old 12-07-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLittle1981 View Post
.. the question after my rambling - old cardboard cases are not worth the space in the closest correct?
Like a gig bag, they prevent scratches and keep dust off. They may prevent children and honest people from messing with your guitar.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLittle1981 View Post
I have a 1965 Harmony with what I would call a cardboard case; I was going to throw the case out - I am pretty sure it is no original but I found some Gibson guitar polish that says on the bottle it was made in Kalamazoo in the case (which I will hang onto... the question after my rambling - old cardboard cases are not worth the space in the closest correct?
No, I think you're right. Keep the polish, throw out the chipboard case. If you're not careful, they can actually scratch or otherwise harm a guitar. Buy a new (or used) hardshell case!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair