The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Default 1927 000-45 Martin

I inherited a 1927 000-45 Martin Guitar. I am wondering if anyone knew where I could get an appraisal on it. I honestly know little or nothing about guitars. I spent 24 years in the Army and I know with the hand injuries I have had I can't play it. Hell, I don't even know how to play it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Yowza!!! You just won the lottery. Depends on condition. Definitely get more than one qualified appraisal. To give you a rough idea

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=1927%20000-45
Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 PM

Depending on condition that could be close to a six figure guitar.

You may want to check out the Vintage section at umgf.com ... there is a lot of experience there with guitars of that stature and they will be able to lead you in the right direction.

Martin * Pre-War Guitars * Brothers Music
Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

It's very common for someone to say they inherited an item of extreme value and "aww shucks I don't know nothing about this" which is a hook for people to get excited and jump all over it thinking they can get their hands on such a thing cheap.

If you wanted a guitar appraisal you would google "guitar appraisal", not make a forum account then post the above message for everyone to see.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-16-2018, 07:32 PM

have a look here to get an idea of it's value:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/24453/2...uable-guitars/

Ludwig
Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
It's very common for someone to say they inherited an item of extreme value and "aww shucks I don't know nothing about this" which is a hook for people to get excited and jump all over it thinking they can get their hands on such a thing cheap.

If you wanted a guitar appraisal you would google "guitar appraisal", not make a forum account then post the above message for everyone to see.
I was just looking for some advice from people who were possibly knowledgeable and could point me in the right direction of some REPUTABLE appraisal places.

I'm 54 years old. I don't have time to play games and convince you. I can prove I am who I am and that this was a legitimate inquiry.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Rule #1

Quote:

Uh huh. Tough crowd here. There's a good chance a Google search is what brought the OP HERE in the first place. It was a search engine that brought me here when looking for info on acoustic guitars.

I would like to thank the OP for his service.
Ibanez AEG Mahogany, '16
Yammie FG-430A, '91
Baby Taylor, '15
Listed in order of usage.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Edited quote

Quote:

You beat me to it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Let's be polite, guys.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Heavypicker

Look on line for the same model guitar from the same general decade. The price depends upon condition. You have a guitar that is probably worth as much or more than a new mid priced car or more. Try Gruhn guitars, Carter’s vintage guitars, Gryphon Guitars, Elderly Instruments. The guitar you have was the top model Martin made that year. It could go from $25,000.00 to over $100,000.00.
Get several estimates from really high end vintage guitar dealers. There are some not so honest dealers that will offer to buy it at a very low price. Guitars can be repaired, if it needs $1,000.00 in repairs, it will still not drop it’s used price by a great deal. Old guitars all need repairs, neck resets, refrets, crack repairs, loose parts that require gluing. Do not attempt to do any repairs yourself, you could ruin the guitar and drastically lower its value. That guitar was originally put together with hide glue, using other glues will change the tone and lower it’s value. The quality vintage dealers I listed have in house repairs departments who specialize in the repair of vintage guitars. That guitar is highly sought after, you will have no trouble finding a buyer.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Thank you again for your service! And welcome to the forum! You might want to contact George Gruhn at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. He is an authority on vintage Martin guitars. And also Carter Vintage in Nashville. At least they could give you some idea as to what it's worth?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

You can also post some photo's here to get opinions. Again, get multiple appraisals and never sell it to an appraiser without other independent appraisals to confirm the value. As others have said, don't do anything to it, especially cleaning with chemicals or trying for fix something. At best go get a case humidifier to protect it from potential damage from the winter months.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 PM

Welcome! Sounds like a neat piece. Plenty of nice folks here who are passionate about their instruments. Would enjoy just seeing pictures of an oldie like that. Best wishes on your quest for more information.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Let me google that for you

287,000 hits and no AGF isn't up top. Place like Cream City music, guitar blue book, gruhns, reverb, etc.

I am not unhelpful.

If the OP truly wanted advice, I told him to Google it but he never defended how he just happened to stumble upon AGF. If you do Google it, AGF isn't what you find.

What I am helping is two groups of people

1) the OP if legit will go to Google and find a real appraiser
2) AGF community who are the targets

(again, I'm not arbitrarily making this up. Do the research)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Edited content
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

OK, fellas... courtesy is required.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion