The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Makes me wonder:

first - how much difference there is between the Hawaiian made and the California ones. I know it's an "ear of the beholder" kind of thing, but I respect the ears on this board

second - when did they make the move to the mainland?

Dan
I like the Hawaii made ones better. By quite a margin. Many Hawaii Goodalls have blown me away. No Ft Bragg Goodall has, yet.

The best thing about Hawaii Goodalls is that they're relatively plentiful and affordable on the used market, considering how good they are.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 01-14-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
It seems it was more like a factory and the craftsmanship was not there.
As mentioned by others, the bit about craftsmanship is misplaced. Goodalls have always been made to very high standards, whether in HI or in CA.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the feedback. Looks like I owe it to myself to go over and spend some quality time with a few Goodalls.
I hate the thought of parting with my Breedlove...It is by far is the most gorgeous guitar I've owned ...both in sound and construction.... but its not the best neck shape for me (large hands and a thin neck relative to say a Collings neck) and I'm thinking of trying something with a slightly shorter scale, which Goodall does. If I do, you'll see it here.

'Cause everyone likes pics, here are some pics of the Breedlove. I got it here on the forum, and it was used by Breedlove as a flagship guitar when it introduced their Master Class Revival Series. I adore it. https://david-alden.smugmug.com/AllAboutSally/
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

When I got back into playing guitars a few years ago, after a loooong layoff, I went looking for a good guitar. I tried pretty much everything I could get my hands on. Some were nicer than others but nothing really stood out as head-and-shoulders above the others until I played a Goodall. I had no idea what a Goodall was. I just grabbed one and started to play it. It was completely different from anything else I'd tried, and that was mostly guitars from other great builders. Later in my search, I was in another shop in a different part of the country, trying the best guitars they had. Same thing happened. I played a Goodall and it just had something different going on that made it stand out from the other guitars.

I eventually bought a Goodall. I've since bought some other guitars.

I came to realize that what made the Goodall special was this seemingly contradictory quality of lushness and clarity. Yes, there were those legendary Goodall overtones and sustain but some how, they never got in the way. On other lush guitars, notes can run into each other and sound muddy when played the way I typically play. With the Goodall, that fat, lush tone is there but with excellent clarity and note separation. I fingerpick blues. I own two Waterloos. So I like a lot of cut and clarity in a guitar. But I can play blues on my rosewood Goodall and feel that it works just fine. Yes, the tone has more lushness than a Waterloo. But the clarity is still there. Truth is, I'll more often choose a Waterloo or a Huss & Dalton for blues and rags but the Goodall has enough clarity to work for what is probably the genre people would least associate with its tone profile. It's extraordinarily versatile and satisfying.

I've had other nice guitars and in some respects, I prefer some of them to the Goodall. But the Goodall remains one of a small group of guitars that I can pick up after not having played it for a while and my first reaction is, "Dang, this is a great guitar."

No guitar is for everyone. And good guitars abound these days. But Goodalls are definitely very special and for people looking for guitars in that price range, they owe it to themselves to at least try a Goodall and decide if it's right choice for them.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post

I've had other nice guitars and in some respects, I prefer some of them to the Goodall. But the Goodall remains one of a small group of guitars that I can pick up after not having played it for a while and my first reaction is, "Dang, this is a great guitar."
Exactly my experience.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

really useful feedback. Thanks. Ultimately, i'll just have to spend some time with one to find the guitar that will change my life.
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

I like Collings and Bourgeois guitars but they are in the "Martin" sound family sometimes out Martin Martin so in that vein I own mostly vintage Martins and one modern Martin. Goodall's are a much more modern tone and I can't think of any other super high end luthiers that out do Goodall. Many in the $8,000+ range are as good, but to my ear, and walle,t none are better. I own 2 Concert Jumbos in mahogany and koa.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I like Collings and Bourgeois guitars but they are in the "Martin" sound family sometimes out Martin Martin so in that vein I own mostly vintage Martins and one modern Martin. Goodall's are a much more modern tone and I can't think of any other super high end luthiers that out do Goodall. Many in the $8,000+ range are as good, but to my ear, and walle,t none are better. I own 2 Concert Jumbos in mahogany and koa.
I agree completely as one drawn to Goodall because it (to me) was the supercharged, HiDef, Martin sound. Bourgeois also has that familial tone that I don't get from Collings (thought they're great sounding guitars) or many others.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM

Some years ago, I played a couple of Grand Concerts / OMs (can’t remember which), and was underwhelmed. They didn’t sound bad, but they didn’t blow me away. Then the shop owner pulled out an 000 that left an indelible impression. It was one of the best guitars I’ve ever played.

Regarding your comment on pricing... While their new pricing isn’t cheap, they seem to take a considerable hit in the used market and seem to be a bargain.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Goodall

I have owned several Goodall guitars. The first was purchased from James in Kona, HI. Funny, that's where I live!
This first one was the Aloha model - Sitka and Koa. The Koa on the Aloha models is, for the most part, not figured.....but the tone that comes out is magnificent! In interesting anecdote to my purchase - I played several Aloha models, finally choosing the ONE. Then James comes out with a Grand Concert model. From about 15 feet away, he calls to me asking if I would want this GC for the same price ($2600) I asked him to bring it over for me to play.
WOW! What tone! A bit larger than the Aloha but REALLY nice. I then noticed that the wood was not Koa.
I inquired about the woods in the GC. James said it was Hawaiian Robusto and Englemann spruce. I stated that i had never heard of Robusto. He went on to say that Robusto is in the Eucalyptus family, a wood rarely seen on guitars. But, when he was offered this wood by his supplier, he 'tapped it' and was amazed.
He then went on to ad that THIS guitar was just returned from the original owner who purchased it 4 months ago. The gentleman lived in New England and had NOT properly humidified the guitar. He called James and said the guitar was 'defective'! James told him that the cold winter months suck the humidity out of the air and that proper humidification is mandatory. The guy balked. James took the guitar back and send a replacement to him.
When it arrived back in Kona, the wood was down to 8% (eeek) Over the next month, James brought it back to where it should be.
When he offered it to me at the same price as the Aloha, he stated that he would offer full warranty. Win-win, eh!
I chose the Aloha. Still have it. But I wonder about the Robusto....

Since then, I have purchased a second Goodall. A KCJC model. I liked the cut away. Another awesome Goodall guitar!

Thanks, James!!
Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 PM

Although I have never actually owned one, I have played several that were VERY impressive. I have come close on several occasions, but never quite pulled the trigger.....

The nicest acoustic guitar that I have ever played was a koa / spruce Goodall in Anchorage, AK. I had to think overnight about the $6K purchase price, but going back the next day ready to buy found that it had sold. Someone else agreed with my impression.

On my only visit to Buffalo Brothers before they closed, they had a Goodall Royal Hawaiian model (blinged out, fancy woods) which really struck me too. I almost traded my Martin J-40 plus cash for it. At the 2011 Healdsburg Guitar Show, I had the pleasure of meeting James, Luke, and Jean and to test play a baritone (my primary reason for going to the show that year). I ended up not buying it, but probably should have.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Turning out 5-6 guitars a week is hardly a factory. "The craftsmanship was not there"! That's patently false and represents a complete lack of understanding of the subject. James Goodall's guitar are and always have been, at the pinnacle of the luthiers art.

The best Goodall I've ever played was made in Hawaii.
I know you have experience with this company and I have never even played a Hawaiian made Goodall. I am really just repeating garbage (I guess) that I have read on this forum. I really should check those source before posting something negative about those guitars. I only have played and bought recent models. They are hard to find even in the NYC area, so accept my apologies and it is great to learn not to dismiss the Hawaiian made models if I happen to see a used one for sale.
I do know one thing. They are one of the finest brands I have ever played. In fact the shape of my CJ along with selling one of my guitars has opened my heart to purchasing a similarly shaped guitar made by another small builder. I really like the curvy shape with tighter waist. It is very comfortable on my leg. I am going into the city in the morning for back surgery and looking at a long recovery. I have a feeling the guitar I am interested in will sell before I ever get a look t it.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:42 PM

I have had considerable experience with Hawaiian Goodalls and now Fort Bragg Goodalls. The old ones were very nice and affordable compared to other small shop instruments. The new ones seem to have something more. The ones I have played seem to have a bit more sweetness in the mid range than I have noticed from the old ones. Just my opinion.

Goodalls are cheaper than other well known luthiers. I have played a few Kevin Ryans and a few Olsons and Goodalls are just as good. I really like the neck thickness. It’s seems more substantial than others I have played. They also seems easier to play. I haven’t checked the scale length recently so that could be the reason.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-14-2018, 11:04 PM

Can we wrap this thread up soon? It’s giving me major GAS.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 PM

I own a RGCC that was made during the last couple of weeks of the Hawaii shop. I bought it used. I had the opportunity yesterday to play it side-by-side with mahogany Franklin OM. The Franklin was a high definition clear tone with lovely sustaining trebles and a a simply wonderful bass. It is a fine, fine guitar.

Here's the thing - while the Goodall guitar sounds completely different from the Franklin and sounding clear yet much warmer, more complex and more mellow, it was clearly having its own magic and was more open and responsive in feeling to the touch than the Franklin.

They were very complementary and if I didn't already own a Circa that occupied the same tonal territory as the Franklin to a higher level than the Franklin, I would have been tempted to get one.

I guess what I'm saying in this thread is that i have played and owned some pretty decent guitars and the goodall from the hawaii era has as much right to be considered an upper echelon guitar and what it has to offer other guitars cannot bring to the table and vice versa.

To consider the hawaii goodall as being somehow inferior to luthier made guitars because it was made in a small shop would be a big mistake. Judge the individual guitar on its own merits. A good goodall is capable of making many luthier made guitars twice its price look bad - I recall one spruce eirw one made by a very famous luthier that i have played once and who has been mentioned in this thread which would have been completely overshadowed by my much cheaper goodall...

Last edited by gitarro; 01-14-2018 at 11:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion