The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTune View Post
I personally think that this is very bad advice especially for Yamaha guitars. They actually have one of the most consistent sounds across models that I've heard.
Every music store I go to I will find and play the LL16s on the wall. I found there is a common tonal grouping of many of them that is good but not great, mushy bottom ends, sterile highs.. Just nothing to get excited about, and a there are a few top drawer ones with unique notable personalities that excel in certain ways without having anything that could be considered a tonal flaw.

The weight differences between individual ones is often significant. Mine is prrhaps the heaviest I have played.. which I believe contributes to a tight full bass, weighty punchy individual notes, and a crisp and clear top end, deeply sustaining, and its resonances are very deep to lower midrange.. (Eg. It will resonate fully yet with no mush nearly an octave below regular tuning. If I wanted a baritone... i would convert this guitar). A very amazing guitar in its own right and has the classic eq dip that makes it for a male baritone vocal mix.. but it is much more Martinesque and not a Taylor.

My friend has an incredibly light very alive LL16 guitar that has so much resonant complexity in the upper mids it seems to create mix congestion and particularly interferes with vocals.. but is a standout for instrumental tone.. Breathtaking really. It has a shimmering bright highs that are very lush and musical but a little bit too indiscrept. Bottom end is loose and not loud but it doesnt have a mushy feel either. It sounds much like some Taylors but has very little Martin to it. Really harmonically complex.

Our respective guitars are at the opposite bookends of tone but each has a distinctive worthy character. Mine is a great rhythm and his a great lead. The difference between a Fender Bassman and a Marshall Superlead. Mine rumbles, his sings. An extreme set of very neat differences.

I agree Yamahas manufacturing quality is consistently great guitar to guitar, but seriously.. each guitar still has varying tonal characteristics due to serendipitous factors outside of near perfect manufacturing.

There is the potential in the L series l to find a perfect guitar moreso than most lines but un less a total fluke, mail order wont get you there.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 01-16-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
Every music store I go to I will find and play the LL16s on the wall. I found there is a common tonal grouping of many of them that is good but not great, mushy bottom ends, sterile highs.. Just nothing to get excited about, and a there are a few top drawer ones with unique notable personalities that excel in certain ways without having anything that could be considered a tonal flaw.

The weight differences between individual ones is often significant. Mine is prrhaps the heaviest I have played.. which I believe contributes to a tight full bass, weighty punchy individual notes, and a crisp and clear top end, deeply sustaining, and its resonances are very deep to lower midrange.. (Eg. It will resonate fully yet with no mush nearly an octave below regular tuning. If I wanted a baritone... i would convert this guitar). A very amazing guitar in its own right and has the classic eq dip that makes it for a male baritone vocal mix.. but it is much more Martinesque and not a Taylor.

My friend has an incredibly light very alive LL16 guitar that has so much resonant complexity in the upper mids it seems to create mix congestion and particularly interferes with vocals.. but is a standout for instrumental tone.. Breathtaking really. It has a shimmering bright highs that are very lush and musical but a little bit too indiscrept. Bottom end is loose and not loud but it doesnt have a mushy feel either. It sounds much like some Taylors but has very little Martin to it. Really harmonically complex.

Our respective guitars are at the opposite bookends of tone but each has a distinctive worthy character. Mine is a great rhythm and his a great lead. The difference between a Fender Bassman and a Marshall Superlead. Mine rumbles, his sings. An extreme set of very neat differences.

I agree Yamahas manufacturing quality is consistently great guitar to guitar, but seriously.. each guitar still has varying tonal characteristics due to serendipitous factors outside of near perfect manufacturing.

There is the potential in the L series l to find a perfect guitar moreso than most lines but un less a total fluke, mail order wont get you there.
Agree. My experience living with 2 LL16s in rosewood, both ARE tops purchased new showed a very noticeable difference in sonic characteristics - one had a tight, almost choked bass response and the other developed mushy bass over time with same string sets. The laminate b&s FG guitars in my experience are very consistent by comparison, and with no surprise.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Default LL-TA

If you are going to get an LL16, do yourself a favor and get the LL-TA. It's just an LL16 (all solid rosewood b/s) with the Trans Acoustic technology installed. It's barely more expensive and it is insanely cool. If you haven't tried or heard Yamaha Trans Acoustic guitars, check them out on youtube. Also the Technology pairs perfectly with the LL size. The have the same tech on the smaller concert body LS16, but it doesn't sound as good. And if you don't want to turn it on, you still have a fantastic souding guitar. You can find used LL-TAs out there for a great price too. I have owned two LLs and I haven't noticed a marked difference in quality/sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion