The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGap View Post
The T5's make a great 12 er.

+1,000.

I have a maple top standard in tobaccoburst. Just as versatile as its 6 string brother hanging next to it. I'll often bring it along when I'm sitting in with a friend performing celtic folk and rock type stuff. It really adds some nice depth to the mix.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM

The Rickenbackers are _really_ narrow, and I'm speaking as a mandolin player. Just bought an older 360-12 and found it basically unplayable which surprised me. I used to own a Jerry Jones Neptune which is a (much) better quality reproduction of a Danelectro and that was a pleasure to play, though the Ricks do sound best.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Carvin was mentioned earlier, they make a 12 string version of the AE185. Acoustic pickup is an LR Baggs Ribbon, plus dual humbuckers for electric work. Nut width is 1.75" on the 12 string. They also have a couple of solid body and neck-through types as well.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
I had a reissue Danelectro and really liked it until the neck warped. I sold it used for as much as I paid for it with full disclosure of the neck issues by the way. If I were to buy another it would be the Ric Tom Petty model but they are costly. Currently I use my Taylor 12 which is acoustic with the ES system. Works great and plays like butter. Won't get the electric vibe with the Taylor so keep that in mind when buying one.
I too have a Dano 12 reissue, and I love it. Plays good and sounds real good
No neck issues...
Pitner, just curious, did the truss rod help at all in straightening the neck out?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM

I have to give Rickenbacker the nod as well. I got one a few years ago after lusting after them forever, and love the sound. I've got fairly large hands, and got used to the neck and spacing after a bit of grumbling and cursing. The necks are slim and pretty easy to play after the adaptation period.
Not cheap, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars