The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-25-2017, 12:04 PM

Default In the Bleak Midwinter

I had to do this one in a hurry (even by my standards). By the time I had a concept of how I could approach this song I had only a few hours to record the parts and mix it. So everything is kind of first take, get it down, move to the next track. Cajon, shakers, tambourine and shaker bells for percussion. Then an electric guitar tracked though a flanger plugin (I'd thought I'd use acoustic, but didn't think I'd have the time to get things quiet and mic'ed up, and the flanger sounded wintery to me in a quick search for a sound and in the end I think it adds some south Asian drone feeling). Vocal (cheated, spoke the words--but I did use all of Rossetti's poem, most versions drop a verse or even two). Then the bass part, where I got a bit too over-enthusiastic and didn't cut things off. And finally two MIDI violins and a MIDI string section, the former of which doesn't add as much as I hoped, and the later is really just subtle harmonic reinforcement during the verses. The mix was what I'd usually call a rough mix, but I posted it as soon as it was done so I could get this up on Christmas Eve.

So imperfection, but I was trying to find a different way to approach this song from the other versions I've heard, and this is at least a sketch of that.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/parlando/I..._Midwinter.mp3

Not as good a production as the best things I've done, but I wanted to present this poem in time for the season.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, Frank! Boy, that was a lot of production work in a hurry! Well done!!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell