The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
I wonder if the Helix "colors" the sound of an acoustic guitar. Has anyone tried the acoustic guitar direct to the PA via DI and via the Helix?

I don’t notice any coloration going straight through.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I've seen used as low as $1,000. Sometimes $1100 with the Helix bag.

Yes. I saw one go on Reverb last week for $1100, with gig bag AND expression pedal. I wanted to pull the trigger but didn't have the cash yet.

But I was patient, and got a Helix Floor off of CL for $950 + shipping and Paypal fees. $1015 total. Now I'll get that Novation keyboard gig bag for $60 and I'll be set!
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 10-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Had my Helix for a week now... no regrets. It is a bit tedious to learn, but still WAY easier than anything else like it (like the PODs, headrush, Axe, etc).
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 10-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Cocobologist

Suggestion -- Patch/Snapshot/Setlist editing is a breeze through the Helix software. Connect the unit to your computer via USB and fire up the app. Drag n drop effects, slider controls for adjustments, quick saves.

Editing on the machine is pretty easy, but doing it via computer is true child's play!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 PM

Helix is amazing for Acoustic. I play my Taylor and McPherson as well as a PRS with piezo pickup through it. I’ve run the gamut of different eqS, para eq, and multiple others and I can get great acoustic tones with or without IR’s with relative ease.
Helix
Old 10-17-2017, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

rschultz brought his Helix over this past weekend and I was blown away!

We tried two of my acoustic guitars through it and they both sounded great with very minimal tweaking. If I remember correctly we had on a studio preamp, a reverb and a compressor.

I sure wish there was a smaller version of this. I only play acoustic so I'd be paying for a lot that I might not ever use. But I sure loved what I heard!

Matt
Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 AM

Default Snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Suggestion -- Patch/Snapshot/Setlist editing is a breeze through the Helix software. Connect the unit to your computer via USB and fire up the app. Drag n drop effects, slider controls for adjustments, quick saves.

Editing on the machine is pretty easy, but doing it via computer is true child's play!
I never figured out what the Snaphot is for. I see the little camera often with a 1 on it. How is snapshot used?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:11 AM

Do you need a DI after the Helix if you go through the Helix with your acoustic?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
Do you need a DI after the Helix if you go through the Helix with your acoustic?
The Helix has a pair of XLR's (DI) outputs and a pair of 1/4" outputs. Either works. I run the 1/4" jacks to my stereo (or combo amp) at home for practicing, and I use the XLR(s) to plug into the sound system at church.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 10-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I never figured out what the Snaphot is for. I see the little camera often with a 1 on it. How is snapshot used?
Snapshots are a way to customize your current virtual signal chain. For example if you had a chain of pedals, like a flanger then a chorus and then a distortion and then another effect, etc... snapshot one could be chorus and distortion on, snapshot two could be Flanger and boosted distortion, 3 could be another variation, etc.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
Snapshots are a way to customize your current virtual signal chain. For example if you had a chain of pedals, like a flanger then a chorus and then a distortion and then another effect, etc... snapshot one could be chorus and distortion on, snapshot two could be Flanger and boosted distortion, 3 could be another variation, etc.

Saw a couple of Youtube videos showing up now. Looks like you have to turn on a global setting to get some of the foot switches to activate the snapshots. Haven't tried that as I've got several patches setup with many effects. I couldn't figure out where to change the snapshots.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Had Helix now for a month. I’ve setup a handful of presets, and played both acoustic and electric live. Just awesome. I should have done this years ago. No regrets. And with all the pedals I’ve sold I’m about $1000 ahead. Wo hoo. Lovin’ my Helix!
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 12-20-2017, 07:52 PM

Just checking in, still love my Helix. The couple of acoustic patches I’ve created sound great... both single and dual source guitars. The possibilities are endless. EQ, compression, Reverb, modulation, different routings, IRs,... it goes on and on and on!
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 12-20-2017, 10:07 PM

Default Helix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Just checking in, still love my Helix. The couple of acoustic patches I’ve created sound great... both single and dual source guitars. The possibilities are endless. EQ, compression, Reverb, modulation, different routings, IRs,... it goes on and on and on!

I haven't tried it yet, but the last upgrade apparently has a bass amp that was created in collaboration with Billy Sheehan. I did try that new doubler effect, it's fantastic. Plus the new Marshall Amps.

One thing I want to try setting up: Create a switchable path where a looper is at the start of the junction, then add a pitch shift to the expression pedaling place after the looper. Record a loop, then switch the path to solo over it. What I'm hoping that would do is allow me to change the pitch of the loop while maintaining the sound of my guitar.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:25 PM

Recently got a Stomp XL. With the recent firmware updates, both Stomp models have an 8 block limit, and my dual source setup works.

IR, preamp, EQ on both channels, then comp and Reverb. Sounds great!
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification