The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM

Default NUGD (New Used Guitar Day)

For a couple years I've been looking for a good complement to my 2008 American Standard Strat. For a while I settled on a Washburn HB-35S semi-hollowbody, but I fell out of love with it last year. Yesterday I suddenly got a wild hair to unload the Washburn , so I took it to the nearest GC, sold it for a surprising amount, and went straight to a local used guitar shop and bought this thing, which I'd been eyeing for a week: a pristine 2012 Reverend Sensei RT. Korina body and one-piece neck, mildly hot mini-humbuckers, bass contour knob that allows you to roll midrange on/off, rosewood fretboard, and locking Reverend tuners. The variety of tones available is really impressive, from creamy to bright, and the bass contour can be used to overdrive the bridge pickup slightly. I've played some other Reverends in the past and, although I liked how they played and sounded, I never much cared for their looks. This one, however, blew me away with its steampunk metallic aesthetic.

After lowering the action, setting p/u height, and correcting intonation, I played it for about an hour. Tonally I feel it occupies some of the space between a Strat and a Les Paul, maybe in the neighborhood of a Tele. The thing's perfect with absolutely no marks or scratches and looks like it's new out of the box. I can't say I've seen a better looking or playing Korean-made guitar.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 PM

Nice score! What are you playing it through?

I own a guitar.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
Nice score! What are you playing it through?
I've got a Vox ADVT 50 which works pretty well with this guitar. I played it through a Traynor at the shop. WOW!

Last edited by Sombras; 11-03-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 AM

Congrats!!! Looks great. As far as Traynors go, they're great amps made outside Toronto. What model did you try? Do you think you'll get one?

Enjoy the Reverend!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats!!! Looks great. As far as Traynors go, they're great amps made outside Toronto. What model did you try? Do you think you'll get one?
No clue on the model, but it was maybe in the 30W range and sounded EXCELLENT. I got the impression that almost any guitar would sound great on that amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars