The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM

bill lawrence keystones....... inexpensive and a great blend of vintage/modern sound
Old 10-28-2012, 02:24 PM

I have had Fralin's, Keystones that I bought right from Becky, Rio Grandes, Fender Texas Specials and Custom shops and just about every other ones I could get me hands on. My absolute favorites are the ones on my Tele right now! I bought a Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge and the APTR1 for the neck. They sound fantastic...and cover everything from country to rock. They just work.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:17 PM

What about Bare Knuckle Pickups?
I've just put some Irish Tour pickups in my Rory Gallagher Relic Strat and they sound great.
Just an idea.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
This is true and thanks for pointing this out. I am more of a country/blues/instrumental type player ... I favor clean tones and play with fingers (nails) seldom using picks ...

If the noiseless pickups kill the sparkle and spank, I might not like them ... but if the tone gets beefier, less noise and can be EQ'd to still have the Tele brightness, I will like them ... I was looking at the DiMarzio's this afternoon (Area T™ 615 DP424 for the bridge and 2 Area T™ Neck DP417 for the other 2 slots.) ... however, they also have standard Tele pups that are true single coil (even those would be better than the factory pups on a MIM Deluxe, right?
You might look into Joe Barden pickups, given your preferences.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM

My guitarist and I really like Fender's Noisless pickups. Getting a B-Bender Tele soon with those installed.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

+1 or +10 by now on the Lawrence Keystone pickups. I put them in a MIM Nashville Tele (actually, I put one of BL's P90s in the neck. amazing tones)

Lots of great options though and lots of good suggestions already. Its hard to go wrong with Duncans and Fralin is legendary for a reason. They'll also sound fantastic.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 AM

Default Piezo acoustic bridge

If you want to add some sparkle and dynamics to a Tele try adding a piezo acoustic bridge. I have a Tele that I built with Fishman Power bridge. The sound with neck pickup and the power bridge on is quite remarkable. The one thing you have to be careful of is getting too much bass end from the power bridge
Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 AM

One word: Lollar!

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

I have them in a K-line Tele and love 'em. I use the bridge pickup that is a tad bit hotter. It works great. The neck is wonderful.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chordcrasher View Post
If you want to add some sparkle and dynamics to a Tele try adding a piezo acoustic bridge. I have a Tele that I built with Fishman Power bridge. The sound with neck pickup and the power bridge on is quite remarkable. The one thing you have to be careful of is getting too much bass end from the power bridge
Interesting ... tell me more ... so, Fishman makes a Piezo bridge specific to a Tele? URL's? Sites? Thanks.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Default Telecaster Pickup Suggestions

I didn't like the Fender noiseless when I A-B'd a standard US tele with the Deluxe. As stated above, the noiseless pups lacked that edge or twang that makes the tele a tele, imho.

In the end I bought a G&L Asat classic. The
pickups on that guitar are amazing, powerful enough to give a huge s/n ratio without losing much of the twang. If I could I'd get a set that fitted my Strat. I dunno if an aftermarket set would fit a tele without adjustment, but worth considering.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM

I have to agree with Duncan for tele pups. Seymour knows teles... if you can justify their custom shop pups, they are amazing but the Jerry Donahue mentioned, the alinico 2's, and a number of others are really great too.
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars