The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Smile Fender Mustang Floor

Just got this and started using it last night. Very impressed. Good sound quality for the price, user friendly, solidly built. I've just scratched the surface of what it can do but I'm already glad I bought it. Ran it into the "return" of the effects loop of a solid state Fender amp (2004 Cyber-Deluxe). Tonight I'll try it straight into my PA. I got it so I wouldn't have to haul my amp to church each week since I was going straight into the PA there anyway. Recommended!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM

You sound like a happy camper, Elk. Congrats. What exactly is it? It sounds like a pedal or floor module but what does it do?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 AM

It's a multi-effects pedal, like the Line 6 POD products, Boss, Digitech, etc. Everybody makes one these days. Fender's has good models of classic Fender tube amps, as well as the other classic amp models that are usually included in such products, and of course the usual list of effects, delays and reverbs. I think the amp sounds are more natural than other multi-pedals I've tried, but that's just imho.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 AM

I just bought one last week and very happy with it. I'm playing it through a Fender Super Sonic 22 combo. The Mustang Floor has 100 presets covering most of the major music genre and you can add 100 more personal presets. For starters you can just choose a preset like a Fender Twin then adjust the effects (more reverb, more or less delay, a touch of overdrive whatever) and off you go. The built in expression pedel can be used for wah wah or to control volume. It is very simple to use right out of the box. Beyond the basics the Fuse Software lets you manage the thing with your computer tweeking every tone. Best news is its now selling for about half full retail price.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Now that I've been using it for a while, I have found one thing that isn't quite ideal. When you use the pedal as a volume pedal, the tone and amount of distortion changes as you operate the volume pedal. It is just like what happens when you turn down the preamp volume on an amp - leaving all settings the same and changing only the volume, your tonal quality changes because you are providing more or less preamp power. This is a problem because you have to choose whether to set up your sound for the volume at the heel end or the toe end of the pedal, or in between.

I have to find out whether the unit will let me change the signal path. It does have diagrams showing the signal path, so it might be adjustable. If not, I'm thinking of putting a separate volume pedal in line AFTER the multieffects unit.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yeah, page 5 of the manual tells you can run it in volume or expression mode. In expression mode it can be used to control several things including "amp" and "volume." One of those two is bound to be post-preamp and thus wouldn't change your amount of gain. Classic rock sounds typically want the volume pedal pre-preamp and modern sounds typically want it post-preamp.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Thanks I'll try that
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM

I have the Mustang III which is essentially the pedal in an amp form. I've tried gigging it a couple of times and my deluxe reverb patches sound great, but the others .... need tweaking. But overall, the way I have to use it with my 2 button switch to go up/down scrolling through patches and the 4 button switch to turn individual effects on and off, it's just not really working for me. I played it last Friday and then then took my pedalboard and a small tube amp Saturday and the difference was huge. I'll still keep it for a grab and go and around the house.

The tones are pretty darn good and it's SO much easier to dial in than anything else I tried.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars