The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Martin 0-45S Stephen Stills?

I was just grazing through the new Elderly Instruments catalogue and saw an ad for the 0-45S Stephen Stills guitar. Only 91 will be made. Adi/Madi RW, 12 fret (of course). At that price there is NO way I am buying one, but was wondering if anyone is?

I bet it is ONE FINE little guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

I bet it is, too, but for now, I'm going to enjoy the guitars I have. Steven Stills always played very nice Martin guitars!

- Glenn
Old 11-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

I thought there already WAS a Stephen Stills Martin guitar-is this a new issue? And what's the significance of 91?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:47 AM

There are, in fact, no less than three Stephen Stills models: The legendary D-45SS (BRW), the 000-45SS (EIR) and now the 0-45S (MadRose). I have not played the latter two, but I used to own a D-45SS and it was truly great.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfeiff View Post
I thought there already WAS a Stephen Stills Martin guitar-is this a new issue? And what's the significance of 91?
The previous Stephen Stills model was a dreadnought. This is a smallbody.

As for the significance of the 91 instruments built, it tells me only that the first Still model sold well, so they're going for a fairly high number for a signature model.

The number will have some meaning to Stills, and I'm sure it'll be explained in the article about the guitar in the Martin publicity publication.

whm
Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The previous Stephen Stills model was a dreadnought. This is a smallbody.

As for the significance of the 91 instruments built, it tells me only that the first Still model sold well, so they're going for a fairly high number for a signature model.

The number will have some meaning to Stills, and I'm sure it'll be explained in the article about the guitar in the Martin publicity publication.

whm
91 is the number of prewar D-45's ever built. Stills is closely associated with the D-45 (as is all of CSN), and the original D-45SS was modelled after Stills' own prewar D-45 "Maybelle". Hence 91 instruments.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I apologize if this is a hijacking of this thread, but along the lines of Steven Stills signature Martin guitars...

I've always enjoyed Steven Stills' guitar playing going back to their first album in about 1969. His albums have shown that he could get some great solo sounds out of an acoustic, for example his song, "Black Queen". And I was always greatly impressed to see the guitars he played and to hear how good they sounded.

With that in mind, when I hear Steven Stills play today, for example, on the most recent Crosby, Stills, & Nash DVD, his guitar sound has this huge piezo, almost "plastic" sound to it that really turns me off. In the same DVD David Crosby's guitar through his pickup system has a really great sound.

So what's with that? Here's Steven Stills championing great old Martin guitars and then playing in public with obvious piezo quack. Why? Could it be that he actually likes that sound? (I realize that some people do, just not me.)

Confused,
Glenn
Old 11-02-2008, 12:47 PM

I've had a chance to play two of the 0-45 Stills guitars. They are remarkably loud for that small of a body and hold up to drop tunings quite well. Great for fingerstyle. Personally, I couldn't justify spending that much on a guitar, but these are great instruments. They smell wonderful, too.

Bryan
Old 11-02-2008, 05:04 PM

91 is the magic number of pre-war D-45's and the D-45SS is considered my many Martinites to be the best post war Martin ever made. They command huge bucks.

I have two Madi Martins and the are wonderful, I'm sure the 0-45S is too, but too small for my tastes, regardless of price they will sell out quickly.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion