The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-23-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Sweet Caroline-every time! (though Wagon Wheel is a close second)
Oh, my. There's one I didn't think of!
Old 12-23-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
. . . The thing is, if you like Americana (what the 70's country rock, outlaw country, alt country, etc. has become since 1995) there are scores of great current people in that genre - Jason Isbell, Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Sierra Ferrell, etc.
Yup. Ryan Adams, Brandi Carlyle, Steve Earle, John Eddy, Chris Stapleton, Reckless Kelly, Turnpike Troubadours, Lucinda Williams, the Wolf Brothers . . . .

(Don't know Sierra. Thanks for that one! Now 'scuse me while I go YouTube her. . . .)

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 12-23-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:18 AM

Every music act here in the Hilton Head, SC area does Margaritaville as Jimmy Buffett's Latitude retirement community is nearby. Other songs everybody here does are Wagon Wheel, Sweet Caroline, and Tennessee Whisky. My acoustic duo has been getting great response with If I Had a Hammer. We do it fast like the Peter, Paul, and Mary version and it gets the audience going. We are also getting good response with Change the World which is best-known as a Clapton song but was first recorded by Wynona Judd so is actually a country song. We also do Tracy Chapman's Fast Car which was a number one country hit this last summer by Luke Combs. Others that go over well are Dust in the Wind, Blackbird, and Eight Days a Week. Almost any Beatles song seems to go over.

I like doing British folk songs and the ones we do - Scarborough Fair, Greensleeves, and The Blacksmith go over well. I have been wanting to do She Moved Through the Fair and glad to know it is working out for someone else. I was kind of worried that it is too slow. Another British folk song I want to do is Willy o'Winsbury by Pentangle. Another slow one but has a beautiful melody.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:50 AM

It doesn't kill anyone to sprinkle in a few of the overplayed standards into your setlist. In the meanwhile you get to play some of 'your' music to an attentive audience.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 12-24-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'd like to see performers post their number one pick for a crowd pleaser. Just one. It would be interesting. Then a person could make a set list of #1 crowd pleasers.
As an expat, I play to mixed crowds of expat friends and Italians, so I have done just that and made a list of crowd pleasers that even non-English speakers know by social osmosis. I can say that the most ubiquitous song internationally is Country Roads, without a doubt. You can sing that anywhere in the world and the whole room will join in. I’ll agree that Sweet Caroline will always get the room going because it’s become a soccer (football) anthem and they can at least do the “dum-dum-dum” and “so good! So Good! SO GOOD!” chant.
I usually start mellow with a crowd pleasing Wonderful World, and always get singers-along with Free Fallin’, All You Need is Love, Let It Be and I love to end with Born to Run- everyone knows The Boss.
I moved to Europe in 1999 and I missed the Wagon Wheel phenomenon in the US. It’s not a thing here and I love the Old Crow version, glad it was never ruined for me. The only songs I love and know will get a sing-along and yet avoid are Wonderwall and Wish You Were Here. I love them both and can do them by request but I have the same fatigue of over-done (and I play mostly open D and the really need standard to sound right). I do Champagne Supernova instead which I’ve never heard anyone do, but scratches the same itch.
Fun thread! I’ll definitely be borrowing ideas.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 12-24-2023, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Oh, my. There's one I didn't think of!
We learned it in response to a couple very persistent and loyal fans. I wouldn't have thought of it either, and frankly would prefer to skip it, but here we are.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:13 AM

The post is for "crowd pleasers." In other words, songs that will please, in general terms, the audience. You may not personally like some of these songs (for example, I don't like "Sweet Caroline" which my band was forced to play as part of our contract at one club) ... but the crowd may like it.

At a gig or a jam I like to play for the audience ... although I personally may not like the song I play.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-25-2023, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Country/bluegrass antique tractor show and old threshers reunion audience, Wagon Wheel of course, which I sort of like. Also though, Will The Circle Be Unbroken, and that one isn't one of my favorites but I can do it. But I don't know what it is about that song.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-25-2023, 12:29 PM

Midnight Rider/Can’t You See, as a medley works great every time!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-25-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreykip View Post
As an expat, I play to mixed crowds of expat friends and Italians, so I have done just that and made a list of crowd pleasers that even non-English speakers know by social osmosis. I can say that the most ubiquitous song internationally is Country Roads, without a doubt. You can sing that anywhere in the world and the whole room will join in. I’ll agree that Sweet Caroline will always get the room going because it’s become a soccer (football) anthem and they can at least do the “dum-dum-dum” and “so good! So Good! SO GOOD!” chant.
I usually start mellow with a crowd pleasing Wonderful World, and always get singers-along with Free Fallin’, All You Need is Love, Let It Be and I love to end with Born to Run- everyone knows The Boss.
I moved to Europe in 1999 and I missed the Wagon Wheel phenomenon in the US. It’s not a thing here and I love the Old Crow version, glad it was never ruined for me. The only songs I love and know will get a sing-along and yet avoid are Wonderwall and Wish You Were Here. I love them both and can do them by request but I have the same fatigue of over-done (and I play mostly open D and the really need standard to sound right). I do Champagne Supernova instead which I’ve never heard anyone do, but scratches the same itch.
Fun thread! I’ll definitely be borrowing ideas.
Hm. "Country Road" seems possible. Thanks!

Re "Wagon Wheel": You didn't miss anything. Dylan threw it away for a reason!
Old 12-25-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
. . . At a gig or a jam I like to play for the audience ... although I personally may not like the song I play.
Yup. I do, too. I just don't know that many popular songs. So I asked.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2023, 09:10 AM

Y’all are suggesting very old songs. Who is your target audience?

I believe any well known song can be a crowd pleaser if presented/performed well. Actually better is you have a different take than the original version. By doing this, you create a niche that separates you from the other performers.

Personally, I’m completely bored seeing anyone just strumming out a song and singing with a goal of just getting through it as a job well done. What else can you bring to the show that makes people want to see you? Song selection is just one of many things that gets people interest.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

Last edited by mike o; 12-26-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Y’all are suggesting very old songs.
Those are usually the crowd pleasers. "Wagon Wheel" is a relative newcomer.

Quote:
Who is your target audience?
Low- and middle-brow pub patrons.

Quote:
I believe any well known song can be a crowd pleaser if presented/performed well.
Yup. I'm not asking how to be a crowd pleaser. I'm asking what songs are crowd pleasers.

Quote:
Actually better is you have a different take than the original version.
How I wish! Where I play, people like to sing along with what they know, the way they know it.

Quote:
By doing this, you create a niche that separates you from the other performers.
Yup. I'm really just looking for song ideas.

Quote:
Personally, I’m completely bored seeing anyone just strumming out a song and singing with a goal of just getting through it as a job well done.
I am, too. But it's also nice to get invited back.

Quote:
What else can you bring to the show that makes people want to see you? Song selection is just one of many things that gets people interest.
On a good night, we bring good playing and good singing.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 12-26-2023 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Midnight Rider/Can’t You See, as a medley works great every time!!
Hey! Haven't played "Midnight Rider" in while. Time to revive it. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2023, 12:34 PM

Best of luck to ya!

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write