The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Marshall AS50R vs Fender Acoustasonic 30

Looking to buy one of these two. Was dead set on the Marshall until I played the Fender for a few minutes. I was pressed for time, so I didn't get to really play the Fender much. It seemed the 30w Fender put out as much sound as the 50w Marshall. Any opinions from those who've played both?

2008 Martin 0000 Cherry Custom
2003 Gibson J-45 (For Sale)
2000 Martin SWOM
2008 Michael Kelly Bayou Resonator
Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Guest 2143

I played both of them several times a while back when I was in need of a an acoustic amp. I thought the Marshall sounded significantly better and bought it. I don't remember which was louder. That was not important to me. I own neither now because I needed to move up to a larger system (PA). I would suggest playing both as you have, only for longer, and letting your ears decide. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 AM

I haven't owned that Fender, but I did own the Marshall. It was a very good sounding amp (IMO). Opps -- sorry -- just re-read your post. I have not played both.

Tp
Old 10-13-2009, 06:13 AM

FWIW I have the Marshall AS50D which was purchased about a year and a half ago and am still very happy with it. I compared it against the Fender and Roland AC 60. Spent an hour in the Acoustic room of a guitar center with them. For my taste I liked the Marshall best. I liked the full sound and effects. I also liked the aesthetics. I ranked the AC60 second and the Acoustisonic third.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I compared the two and preferred the Marshall. I was all prepared to buy one when a used Marshall AS100D, the big brother of the AS50R, became available locally and I picked it up.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 AM

I have the Marshall AS50D - I did compare it to the Fender and many others,
the Marshall is a very underrated Amp - I'm very happy with mine.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM

I have played through both and bought the Marshall. I play a few nursing homes with it each month (10) and it has not had a problem in over 2 years. In addition to sounding good it weighs in at around 23 lbs. which is important when you're lugging stuff around.
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM

A lot of people here rave about the Ultrasound amps in this price range, so you might want to check that out too?

Unfortunately for me, no one in the city carried them.

http://www.ultrasoundamps.com/gallery1.htm
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 PM

Jay, just so happens I have both of these on hand and I think the Fender has a cleaner tone, but the Marshall does have a power advantage if that is something you need.

BTW, my Ultrasound AG-50 will be up on eBay this weekend.

Ted
Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Another vote for Marshall...
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

I tried the marshall, fender, and several others a few years ago. I ended up with the Marshall 50. It just seemed to sound the best for the price. The only drawback is that there isn't much of an EQ (but I use an EQ pedal, so no real biggie for me), but the notch filter comes in handy.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 PM

I wrung out the Marshall and the Acoustasonic when I bought my Taylor T5 - I'd been playing a Gibson 335 through a Peavey Bandit, but the Peavey just killed the Taylor. The Fender was the first one I tried, and it was enough to tempt me to throw the Bandit to the wolves; the sound was definitely better through the acoustic amp, but I felt the T5 had more potential for a smooth, silky ballad than the Fender could process.
Then I tried out a Marshall AS50D - it seemed to be able to produce anything the Fender could, with at least as much power. But the Marshall has a mellow side, when you want it, that I was not able to even approach with the Fender. I liked the controls and other features; it seemed to have everything I needed, and not a lot of stuff I'd never use. The Taylor T5 has a wide range of capability, and I felt the Marshall lets me use the guitar to it's full potential. After a couple years of playing it now, I'm still completely satisfied.
In fact, I like to leave it hooked up at home, and began searching Ebay ... I now have an AS100 as well, which I like even better!
To be fair, though, if I was playing an acoustic/electric guitar instead of the T5, I might choose the crisper tonal nature of the Fender.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

"But... These go to eleven, don't they?"

Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
"But... These go to eleven, don't they?"
Huh????????????????
Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
Huh????????????????
That's a quote from the great English guitarist Nigel Tufnel concerning his Marshall amplifiers. It's from the mocumentary, This Is Spinal Tap.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification