The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Default For Fingerstylists: Is a cutaway necessary or not?

This is a question for all of you who enjoy playing fingerstyle: Is a cutaway necessary for you? Do you prefer it or do you like it without the cutaway?

I originally wanted to do a poll, but I would like to hear individual opinions and "discussions" about it.

I'll start off with myself... I am good with either or. I am not a great fingerstyle player, and I never play up that high. I don't forsee myself ever playing up that high if I got better, and there's not a lot of music out there where the notes go past the 12th fret. Classical guitarists have gotten away with playing without a cutaway for the last few centuries, and they are doing just fine with making beautiful and complicated music.

Aesthetically, I like cutaway's better, gives the guitar a sharper look. But I don't mind a guitar without a cutaway either, because I find those classy.

So I'm very indifferent as you can see. Now let the fun begin, who likes what?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Humanist

I play high up the neck on a number of pieces, and also do scale and exercise work that requires a cutaway. Partial barre chords up high are especially difficult to navigate without the cutaway, even if one is adept at classical techniques.

All my guitars have cutaways.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I find the cutaway very useful for a number of songs I do because I work up the neck. I've got one original composition where I alternate measures at first position and twelfth that really needs it, for example.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Musical minimalist

yep.....I play way up the neck and used to be able to get away with MOST of it on a non cut, but reaching above the 14th in akward positions can really put a strain on the tendons in your elbow after a while.....I will always have at least one cutaway.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 PM

Tommy Emmanuel would probably say that a cutaway is not necessary for fingerstyle. Though, both of my guitars have a cutaway I rarely get that far up the fretboard. Didn't say never, but just rrely.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaidog View Post
This is a question for all of you who enjoy playing fingerstyle: Is a cutaway necessary for you? Do you prefer it or do you like it without the cutaway?
Hi TD...
There are a lot of times I'm well beyond the 12th fret, so a cutaway is nice. I can reach the first two strings up to the 17th fret on a 14 fret neck without a cutaway, but can reach all the strings that far on a cutaway.

I like them aesthetically and functionally.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Eric Skye

I don't care for cutaways. Part of is just aesthetic

I used to use them though. I did a lot work to figure out how to play the lines and chord clusters I used to with a cutaway without one. I actually do play on the highest frets quite a bit. It took a while to feel confident enough at gigs to do it, and still miss a few notes sometimes, but I feel like I’m getting pretty good at it.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:46 PM

I don't play that high all the time, but when I do, it's nice to be able to reach those notes comfortably. I don't drive very fast, either...

cotten
Old 02-02-2008, 02:46 PM
"Big Daddy"

I am pretty much in agreement with the other entries. I do like the aesthetic appearance that is offerd by the "Venetian Cutaway" but it is also very helpful when reaching up into the twelfth fret range for certain pieces.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Cutaway

I have one guitar with a cutaway, and one without, aesthetically either way I find a guitar beautiful. For finger style I do go above the 12th fret, I like to have the option available, different timbres... It is also great for finger style jazz pieces, just give you more tonal colors to play with.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:41 PM

I like cutaways, but I can live without them.

That said, were I to order a more 'contemporary' style guitar, it would have a cutaway (i.e., Taylor, Goodall, Lowden, etc)

For whatever reason, I just do not care for cutaways on OM, and especially dreads.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I think that most experienced fingerstyle players would suggest that a cutaway is a worthy option. I have a cd with some very experienced fingerstyle players, about 10 of them, and I think without exception they each have a cutaway on their guitars.

Some builders do not offer them, even some of the very best builders. T.J. Thompson doesn't offer his guitars with a cutaway. Kim Walker only makes them on his SJ. NOt on his OM or on any of his other guitars, including his L-00 14 fret or his 12 frets.

My Collings is a 12 fret guitar. Love the sound. I only have 3 years experience. I would die without the cutaway and find myself regularly working up to fret 16. But I'm drawn up there. No question about it.

Additionally, there are a few songs I'm working on that suggest a cappo on the 4th fret, and force me up to about fret 14.

With a 12 fret, even though the original pre-war 12 frets did not have a cutaway, I would prefer one. It has no impact on tone or projection on my Collings. I played it off against many other guitars. But that is not always the case for all builders.

I have ordered two guitars from two different buiders and neither is coming with a cutaway because the option is not there. But they are 14 fretters. I'll make the sacrfice because of the builder in these cases.

But with a choice, under the assumption of no impact on projection, I would definitely go for one.

They are more expensive, and if you don't play up there, I would not worry about it. If you ever change your mind, buy a new guitar.

best,

Stuart
Old 02-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Technique and aesthetics

Playing high up the fingerboard without a cutaway requires a different technique. Most classical players have to employ this on a regular basis.

Cutaways definitely make life easier but I don't like the way they look and despite most people claiming otherwise I'm not convinced cutaways have no effect on an instrument's sound.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:12 PM
There is none like you.

Depends how high up the neck you play..
Old 02-02-2008, 04:16 PM

A different strokes/different folks issue. I am not a fan of cutaways on acoustic guitars. My 3 main reasons:
1. I don't like the way they look.
2. I don't particularly need one.
3. I'm afraid of heights.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion