The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Default Key Cracks

My autistic 10 yo autistic/mentally retarded son had a meltdown, picked up my Larriivee OM-03R and threw it like a javelin end pin first against the oak post at the bottom of the stairs. I can't be mad at him since he's also mentally retarded and even though it's my favorite guitar I keep telling myself it's just a thing but I'm feeling sick right now.

I'm telling myself that the guitar is not a total loss.There are two parallel cracks that run about 8" along the curve of the lower bout on the treble side. There are sections where the poly finish has separated from the wood but the breaks are mostly clean. The most noticeable part of the damage is that the area between the cracks is sunken in as this was the point of impact. I've visually inspected the neck joint and the dovetail joint appears to be secure and IMO is a testament to Larrivee's build quality. I've also removed the strings and felt around inside for evidence of any cracked or separated braces and could not detect any at that time. I'm lax to perform any other checks for structural integrity but prior to removing the strings I'd dare say that the guitar was hardly even out of tune. The thing is a real trooper!

Looking forward, I want badly to have the guitar restored. Even though I own two other guitars this one is my favorite. As a few here might still recall I received it as a surprise gift from a giveaway on this forum as well as Harmony Central's Acoustic Guitar subforum and the Larrivee Forum and it is precious to me. Prior to that I'd determined that this guitar fits me like a glove, both physically and tonally. In addition to playing it at home I've also equipped it with a K&K Pure Western mini pickup so that I can play it in church during services once a month.

The issue therein lies in how do I even go about getting it restored? I am the original owner and IIRC I did register the guitar with Larrivee but this type of damage is not something I'd expect to be covered under warranty. Also, where would I be able to get the work done? I know that Martin has a dedicated shop for repairing these types of damage but also has authorized repair people in its network to cover warranty issues. I'm going to pose this question over at the Larrivee Forum to see if the work can be completed locally or if I have to transport it back to their (remaining) factory in Oxnard, California.

I'd provide pics but again I'm sick over this. I'm having bad luck with guitars. My Martin suffered a similar though less severe impact at my own hands but I've been living with it. I also really botched an attempt at repairing my old Takamine rendering it an unplayable corpse and Guinea pig for my inadequate repair skills. As it stands, the only undamaged guitar I now own is the one I recently completed building - and it's staying in its case!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Sorry to hear of your situation. I know it must be a burden having an autistic and challenged child.

If this helps, I recently repaired a Martin guitar that had been run over by a car. One side was broken into multiple fragments, back cracks, top cracks, broken and missing braces. I just returned it to its owner before Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, and the owner stated it sounded and played just as it did before. Albeit, it sports several extra "Frankenstein" wounds on its side now.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM

That is not as uncommon or as difficult to repair as you may think. The sunken area can be pulled back as the guitar is clamped and glued into place. I use a clever device called tuning machine clamps to mate the cracked sides up then use either rod and dowel clamps or just regular old cam clamps or a combination of to squeeze the sides in place till the glue dries. The crack is also cleated from the inside. I like to use fish glue for such repairs but regular old Titebond would work just as well.

It's a fairly common repair and you should be able to find some one near by that can do it. Or since you already have the skills from building a guitar with a little reading you can probably do it your self.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Default son/guitar

lad ??? lol

removed

Last edited by taylor96; 10-22-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:36 PM

Default Do-over

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor96 View Post
"My autistic 10 yo autistic/mentally retarded son had a meltdown"

wow that's one way to describe a child.. Its a guitar can be replaced/repaired.

you child can't be replaced... what a terrible way to describe your child.. shame on you.
Easy Lad.....the description wasn't written the way you perceive it, you get a do-over

“Time flies,
Love stays “
Old 10-22-2014, 05:00 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
My autistic 10 yo autistic/mentally retarded son had a meltdown,
Hope he is okay Cornelius.

Jim
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 PM

pics:

Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I wish the best for you, your son and your guitar. Life is filled with challenges.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 PM

I will pass the well wishes on to my son. FWIW he is as fine as he ever was. He was formally diagnosed with PDD-NOS 7 years ago, and diagnosed as "mentally retarded (unspecified)" 4 years ago - a term that offends me as much as laddie there, but for the politically correct the ambiguous term "intellectually disabled" has come into favor. We have been blessed that he has no physical disabilities and has never had seizures, so we have stopped trying to "fix" his mind. If anything, we just wish he was happier that's all. I'd be perfectly content if he'd be able to take care of his basic needs and one day live semi-independently in a group home and hold down a job to cover his basic needs.

These past 3 years have been rough with lots of broken windows, holes in walls, broken dishes, banging his head and gnashing at his wrists with his teeth - even a brief stay in an institution. I've lost LOTS of sleep over him and said a lot of desperate prayers. If anything, I'm learning that I am the one who has needed to change.

FWIW he seems to be turning a corner. He has mastered much of the 3rd level of the VB MAP, understands and responds to much of what is being said to him, shows an interest in playing with his peers on the playground in school, enjoys banging on the conga in music therapy - and most of these outbursts have become significantly less intense.

If anything, what frustrates me more are misinformed people who either offer me uninformed advice or worse judge me based on the minimal information that I'm inclined to share in a forum that is one of my forms of escape from my family's daily challenges. I am learning to be compassionate for those who are unable to understand things but I have little use for those who are blithely ignorant. I am particularly frustrated with the medical system that fumbles for a "treatment" for a wide range of "disorders" that have all been pigeonholed under the same label and put too many family with different needs in direct competition with each other for resources that benefit some more than others.

Sorry if I seem sad and bitter but I like to think that this too shall pass. Forgive me if I look back on happier times when things were brand new:

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 10-22-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 AM

My wife works with people like your son. I understand how difficult it can be for all involved. Looks like you are not that far from my shop. I would be happy to help you out with the repair.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM

kwakatak, sounds like you got a lot on your plate. I hope the best for you and your son and your family.

As for the guitar it's fixable. To make it look perfect again would cost a lot but to just repair and glue the cracks shut will be easily done and more reasonable in cost. In most cases for repairs like that it's all I do is just repair the cracks. Rosewood is the best at hiding the cracks too since it tends to run right down a grain line and they alter dark and light. And since it's on the underside then when you are playing it won't be staring at you in the face.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Default lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
Easy Lad.....the description wasn't written the way you perceive it, you get a do-over
JFYI

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/LAD

at 69 years I don't believe I fall into your quote.. have a good day
Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor96 View Post
JFYI

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/LAD

at 69 years I don't believe I fall into your quote.. have a good day
From the link you gave:

"2. Informal A man of any age; a fellow."

I think it is fair to say we on this forum treat each other politely with different degrees of casualness and formality. As long as you are a man, "lad" seems to fit well. ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM

I'm sorry about your guitar, but you've been getting good advice here about having it repaired. You needn't take it to a world-class luthier or send it off to Larrivee either--a good journeyman repair person within driving distance could do a solid repair using tuning gear clamps. Be sure to also have them check for other internal damage, especially to the end block. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:45 PM

IIRC the end block on Larrivees are the only laminated piece of wood in the entire guitar as a stopgap against damage from dropping the guitar on its endpin. There are also cloth strips glued at regular intervals to keep key cracks from spreading.

Does anybody know how much a repair like this would cost in general? As with any repair to anything I own I'd like to be informed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair