The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

View Poll Results: Equal string center or equal string spacing at nut?
I prefer equal string center spacing 11 50.00%
I prefer equal string spacing 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2014, 12:56 AM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Cancel that though on sending someone a nut, I didn't think that through enough.

Sorry can't help further on the Sydney thing, bit frustrating really but maybe Trevor knows someone.

Jim
Old 09-30-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
I have know Jeff for quite some time on the ANZLF he's at Caves Beach and here is his site Jeff Highland

Jim

Still looking at Sydney
I know Jeff too. He did a terrific job repairing some dings on my Martin neck with nitro. Can't tell it has been touched up. He also did a nut for me a couple of years ago. Unfortunately he also use the StewMac rule. But Jeff is highly recommended. He makes his own guitar brand with a special adjustment for neck heights.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:30 AM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Okay I see you have done some searching obviously and are well ahead of me, surly Jeff could divide a nut up evenly have you spoken to him about it?

Jim

Still there is the tyranny of distance, no wonder I left Sydney.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:47 AM

I'm certain they all can do it. Even I can figure it out and I'm not a luthier.

I rung the guy in Singapore. It appears there have been some misunderstanding as what I'm after. I'm glad I rang because he can do it. He's a very nice guy too.

I'll be getting a center-to-center nut after all.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:39 AM

You do realise that when your man in Singapore sends the nut back the slots are still going to require filing to get them to the correct depth ?

Are you going to do that yourself? If you are, and if you already have the tools to do so ( you already say that your are going to sand the ends yourself ) then IMO you would be perfectly able to slot the new nut from scratch, particularly as you have the old one as a template.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You do realise that when your man in Singapore sends the nut back the slots are still going to require filing to get them to the correct depth ?

Are you going to do that yourself? If you are, and if you already have the tools to do so ( you already say that your are going to sand the ends yourself ) then IMO you would be perfectly able to slot the new nut from scratch, particularly as you have the old one as a template.
I will be buying a set of files to do minor "touch up" filing to preferred depth. I doubt I am able to do the whole thing myself. Actually, I should have bought your reamer last time. I spent $50 to get my pin holes reamed and ended up with a damaged top - tech dropped a tool on it.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I spent $50 to get my pin holes reamed......
I am living in the wrong part of the world, apparently.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I am living in the wrong part of the world, apparently.
Well, if you were in Hong Kong, you'd be hating it if all you got were pin hole reaming jobs!

What I want to know is, how does any tech of sane mind NOT protect a guitar top when working anywhere near it?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 PM

The Singapore guy is truly helpful. He included a template for center-to-center spacing. I think that way you won't need to measure each slot; you just need to find the two ends and match up the lines. Too easy!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post
He included a template for center-to-center spacing. I think that way you won't need to measure each slot; you just need to find the two ends and match up the lines. Too easy!
Bingo.

Line up the center of the slots for the two outside E strings, not the ends of the nut. Measure how far in from the ends of the nut that you want each of the high and low E strings. Then align those markings to the outside lines on the template.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 PM

Finally, the finished product! FMI nut with equal string center spacing; Corian nut with equal string spacing.

Tools used

Inquiries http://www.guitaringpassionately.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair