The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Here is what I recommend:

3. Don't focus on just barre chords. Try learning new chord inversions up the neck. These tend to be easier to learn than barres, sound better and will give you some positive learning feedback.
So buck up and set some real goals and work on reaching them.
WM....this is sage advice As a practitioner of inversions, I can attest to the wisdom of this advice. I am not able to Barre -do not have a mid-finger on my fret hand. Losing the use of that finger was life changing in many ways. The world of inversions opened up my ability to get back in the game. You'll be amazed
Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM

I've been playing guitar for 40+ years, and I barre only when I have to. I rarely play the F barre, ( I use cheater 4 or 5 string F) but obviously I barre on F#m and B. It's my observation that it's easier for me to barre above the first fret. You might want to practice barres up the neck, realizing the F barre requires more hand strength than any other barre position.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Come to think of it....I hate barre chords....

Put a capo on that baby and play G C and D!!!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 AM

I can totally relate - I have zero musical talent and have to use the "brute force" method to get anywhere with the guitar.

However, I've made a ton of progress in the last year. Part of it is I keep my guitar handy and pick it up for a few minutes all the time. Oftentimes a few minutes turns into 30 or more.

What really helped me with the barre chords was when I discovered you can play a non-barred F chord with only a minor tweak of the traditional C chord. I think it was the song "Laid" by James where I learned this. The first few seconds of this video kinda demonstrates what I'm talking about, though he should really be rolling his index finger to catch the first string also...

As I used the simplified F more and more it became natural to increase the voice of the chord one step at a time: From being a 3 finger affair to becoming a 4 finger one (to include the 5th string), and later it became natural to additionally move my index finger into position for the barre.

The C, G, F, Am chords have a ton of possibilities, and theres a ton of great songs based on them. Pick a few and get to work!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM

I see from your sig that you don't mind trying new guitars... (You have a lot for a guy who thinks he sucks at guitar!) -- have you tried different strings? They are a lot cheaper, and can have a very big effect.

When I was coming back to the guitar after a long break, I put Martin Retro lights on my Guild and man did it make a difference. The tone isn't as bright, (they describe it as "woody") But SOOO much easier on the fingers.

I've heard good things about D'Addario Jazz strings as well. I haven't tried those yet, but intend to.

Barre chords are something that every guitarist hates, but we all deal with. Finger strength comes over time. And so does dexterity. Exercises are good. Playing hours a day is better.

I wouldn't try to learn rhythm and barres at the same time. It's easier if you work on one side at a time. Learn to love easier songs. They are good fall backs when you get frustrated. (The campfire song "They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love" is the easiest song in the world, with just an Am and Em chord. Find songs like it.) Mix stuff you are good at with things you are learning.

Don't be afraid to try different teachers. You might like the guy you're with, but it might be he lacks the technique to teach you -- or the ability to know how to make you better.

Finally, have you considered writing your own stuff? I have a couple of things I wrote, and it was great for learning because I didn't have to match someone else's rhythm. Just playing around on the guitar, and finding progressions and sounds you like can be tremendous fun. There are a couple of things I play now that have strange strumming patterns in them that work some how, and I have actually have other players (much better than I am) ask me how I did it because they thought it was something they could use. If I had to follow someone else doing that -- especially when I was learning -- I would have probably given up in frustration. But developing it on my own was easy because I had nothing to compare it to. I was just trying to get it right to my ear.

The best advice I would give would-be guitarists is You need to learn to be a forgiving critic.

Sure, hear the mistakes. Don't be in denial. Recognize them. But also allow yourself to make them. You're learning.

You sucked at walking once upon a time, too. But, now you can walk all of the way downstairs, without tripping, and play the guitar.

Hang in there.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I can relate to the OP in golf. I've been playing a few years and when I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, I start sucking again. If I don't play every week, I lose it and feel like I'm starting over. The first couple of years it was fun, now it is frustrating and a chore. I may sell my clubs soon...

I started playing guitar at 13 and never looked back. I had a knack for it and it was FUN. That is the key. It doesn't matter if you are good or bad, if it isn't FUN, then why do it?
Some things arrive easier, don't they? I play golf once a year at a company outing. I end up doing pretty well even though I don't focus on it. Body movement (outside of chords) is that way for me. I can get to "competent" easily, then I would have to fight and claw from there.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
WM....this is sage advice As a practitioner of inversions, I can attest to the wisdom of this advice. I am not able to Barre -do not have a mid-finger on my fret hand. Losing the use of that finger was life changing in many ways. The world of inversions opened up my ability to get back in the game. You'll be amazed
A poster in this thread sent me a PM and pointed me to a resource for this. I appreciate the advice.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapinFan View Post
I see from your sig that you don't mind trying new guitars... (You have a lot for a guy who thinks he sucks at guitar!) -- have you tried different strings? They are a lot cheaper, and can have a very big effect.

When I was coming back to the guitar after a long break, I put Martin Retro lights on my Guild and man did it make a difference. The tone isn't as bright, (they describe it as "woody") But SOOO much easier on the fingers.

I've heard good things about D'Addario Jazz strings as well. I haven't tried those yet, but intend to.

Barre chords are something that every guitarist hates, but we all deal with. Finger strength comes over time. And so does dexterity. Exercises are good. Playing hours a day is better.

I wouldn't try to learn rhythm and barres at the same time. It's easier if you work on one side at a time. Learn to love easier songs. They are good fall backs when you get frustrated. (The campfire song "They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love" is the easiest song in the world, with just an Am and Em chord. Find songs like it.) Mix stuff you are good at with things you are learning.

Don't be afraid to try different teachers. You might like the guy you're with, but it might be he lacks the technique to teach you -- or the ability to know how to make you better.

Finally, have you considered writing your own stuff? I have a couple of things I wrote, and it was great for learning because I didn't have to match someone else's rhythm. Just playing around on the guitar, and finding progressions and sounds you like can be tremendous fun. There are a couple of things I play now that have strange strumming patterns in them that work some how, and I have actually have other players (much better than I am) ask me how I did it because they thought it was something they could use. If I had to follow someone else doing that -- especially when I was learning -- I would have probably given up in frustration. But developing it on my own was easy because I had nothing to compare it to. I was just trying to get it right to my ear.

The best advice I would give would-be guitarists is You need to learn to be a forgiving critic.

Sure, hear the mistakes. Don't be in denial. Recognize them. But also allow yourself to make them. You're learning.

You sucked at walking once upon a time, too. But, now you can walk all of the way downstairs, without tripping, and play the guitar.

Hang in there.
Those guitars have come over a period of time. I didn't need this last one but after 26 years I finished my degree and my wife darn near pushed me out the door to get one.

Interesting on writing my own songs. I've got a stack of them that I'm waiting to put to music. Maybe I'll pick one or two and get going on it?

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I'd love to sit in, but I have no idea how to sit in. If that's ok, I'll show up once to meet and greet.

For the rhythm, I'm probably not as bad as your buddy, but I did have to work on it and write it out into bars.
Sounds like a plan, IM me and I'll give you my number. I'm in CA till Wednesday helping with my aging folks, but we'll probably jam Friday. Again, you can come out any time.

I'll show you the guitar I taught my son to play on. It's pretty easy to learn on but it starts with a "Z" so it's taboo on AGF. But, he's been playing for 13 years and he's only 20 so listening to online experts isn't all it's cracked up to be. Unless you're one of the few gifted people, it does take time, lot's of time. But, it's a journey you never tire from.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 09-25-2017, 02:14 PM

Since you have re-engaged the instrument with a 5 day, 1/2 hour per day practice regimen, how many years have you been at it?

hunter
Old 09-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I watch Justin's video here and there. The barre finger isn't too terrible, the shape of the other fingers are a problem. More work is necessary, or smarter work.
You said in an earlier post you wished you'd learned other (open) chords using the finger placements required for Barre chords. Start fingering open chords that way; it'll help. There are myriad ways to finger just about any chord; learn to finger familiar chords with alternate fingerings. Not only will it help with your barre chord progress, but will give you alternates, for chord changes that often prove quite useful and convenient.

Remember, it's a process, a journey; enjoy the ride and
seek creativity.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Those guitars have come over a period of time. I didn't need this last one but after 26 years I finished my degree and my wife darn near pushed me out the door to get one.
Don't misunderstand me... you always need a new guitar
Old 09-25-2017, 03:34 PM

I'm relatively new at this (5 years ish)

Couple of years ago I decided to learn barre chords. It took about a year of effort before I felt comfortable. I'm super comfortable now, with the common shapes (A, Am, E, Em, some C). I might even say that I enjoy them now because it's opened up a whole new option for chords anywhere.

I can say that when I was learning them I was positive that I'd never get it. I'm just too hard headed to quit on something.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 09-25-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Since you have re-engaged the instrument with a 5 day, 1/2 hour per day practice regimen, how many years have you been at it?

hunter
About 18 yrs, I'd say. It's been a month here and there, then put it down for an extended period of time.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
You said in an earlier post you wished you'd learned other (open) chords using the finger placements required for Barre chords. Start fingering open chords that way; it'll help. There are myriad ways to finger just about any chord; learn to finger familiar chords with alternate fingerings. Not only will it help with your barre chord progress, but will give you alternates, for chord changes that often prove quite useful and convenient.

Remember, it's a process, a journey; enjoy the ride and
seek creativity.
That's one of the things I started to consider doing. Whenever the Am, E, etc. are played, force myself to use the other fingering. I'll also do my normal chord change work that was as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion