The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Frank Zappa Headed Back Out on Tour...As a Hologram

http://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zapp...-hologram-tour

Seems that the Ahmet/Diva (who control the Zappa family trust) faction of the Zappa siblings has come up with the notion to send Frank back out on the road, as a hologram. They forced Dweezil to stop using the Zappa Plays Zappa format and now we get this?

Seems to me that Frank would be the first person to mock this ruthlessly! Dweezil has already said that he won't have anything to do with this. Dweezil Twitter

It has already been done with Ronnie James Dio:

Interesting for a few minutes, I guess. But it just seems like a bad parody of devil horns and thumbs ups.

Is this a new trend? Are we going to see cash strapped relatives licensing the likeness of dead entertainers for one last cash grab?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:11 PM

Frank was a walking contradiction .
He would have reviled anyone else for doing this .
He would have done it in a heartbeat for himself it he figured it would pay .
Old 09-23-2017, 05:11 AM

Welcome back to the future....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Could be a good show only because of hearing Frank's music played live?

I saw him in 74 playing the UCLA Royce Hall where he and a 110 piece orchestra waited behind the red curtains.

The anticipation and tunings of the ensemble got our blood boiling in the dark hall, on this ghostly huge stage.
All of a sudden the curtains opened. There was Frank in front of his hired LA Philharmonic with Frank sitting on a toilet seat (he had levis and an open flannel shirt).
Unceremoniously sitting on a lou with his strat, front and center to an astonished crowd in front of 110 piece formal orchestra!

I have other Frank concert remembrances like the Monday night John Lennon died show but I will leave you with that.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt986 View Post
http://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zapp...-hologram-tour

Seems that the Ahmet/Diva (who control the Zappa family trust) faction of the Zappa siblings has come up with the notion to send Frank back out on the road, as a hologram. They forced Dweezil to stop using the Zappa Plays Zappa format and now we get this?

Seems to me that Frank would be the first person to mock this ruthlessly! Dweezil has already said that he won't have anything to do with this. Dweezil Twitter

It has already been done with Ronnie James Dio:

That was too funny. It's been a long week and I really needed that. It's like a mashup of Richard Nixon flashing the peace sign and Spinal Tap with loud guitar distortion.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Could be a good show only because of hearing Frank's music played live?

I saw him in 74 playing the UCLA Royce Hall where he and a 110 piece orchestra waited behind the red curtains.

The anticipation and tunings of the ensemble got our blood boiling in the dark hall, on this ghostly huge stage.
All of a sudden the curtains opened. There was Frank in front of his hired LA Philharmonic with Frank sitting on a toilet seat (he had levis and an open flannel shirt).
Unceremoniously sitting on a lou with his strat, front and center to an astonished crowd in front of 110 piece formal orchestra!

I have other Frank concert remembrances like the Monday night John Lennon died show but I will leave you with that.
I have seen/heard Project Object more than once as well as other cover bands .
The only argument for this is so 2 of his kids can profit from daddy after his death .
Play on Dweezil !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic