The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryVe View Post
The NFL ratings are dropping. This year, ratings dropped 14% from last year. Two reasons below.

1. This is due to the CTE issue where people are becoming more morally aware that they are encouraging/supporting a game where the risk is high that players will end up with Traumatic Brain Injury.

2. Colin Kaepernick's inability to be signed because of a "hidden agenda" not to sign him by the NFL owner's.

Most people will take a stance with either or both of these issues. I know a few friends who stopped watching the NFL altogether.

I agree as what was stated previously, it is a dying sport that is losing its fanbase as the public becomes more aware of the TBI issues. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years.
I also think the way the league handled (or didn't handle) things like Michael Vick the dog killer and Ray Rice the wife beater left a bit of a tarnish on the league as well. Just my opinion.

Later
Rob
Old 09-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Poor ratings ??..You guys watching tonight's game ??. Didn't think so. San Fran and LA..... Two sucky teams. Too many bad teams playing in prime time spots. Back in the day when the Patriots sucked ( yes they did real bad), they went for 10 or so years (yes years) without playing a prime time game. I understand back then there was no Sunday night or Thursday night football, but my point is to many bad teams playing in prime time spots. Today bad teams play all the time in prime.time spots. Greed, and poor ratings.... That and generation x, y, z.... whatever we are on, could care less about major league sports.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 PM

CTE risk with football is a health issue much like cancer is a risk with cigarette smoking. The dangers are well known, and yet significant numbers of people still persist in the risky behavior. Make no mistake, there will be noise made about the need for changes, but as long as making money is involved the health risks will be deemed acceptable by our society and the NFL will carry on much like tobacco companies continue to do.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 PM

I always wonder about NFL players seemingly placing all the blame for CTE on the league. They chose to play, they weren't forced into it. They also have a players association that could help provide research on player safety/helmet design. IIRC there is a helmet out there that is safer but none of the players will wear it because it's larger and they think it makes them look like dorks.

Just like the rest of society the NFL is blamed because they have the deepest pockets.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:56 PM

I doubt no one in this forum doesn't participate is some type of personally risky behavior . I will stand with you in defense of your being allowed to do so .
Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Frankly,many sports and performing arts are paths that everyone knows lead to strong potential of crippling injuries. Have you ever seen the feet of a ballerina after fifteen years? When I played football, broken bones and concussions were considered signs of involvement. A guy on my team was absolutely decked by a hit. When they peeled him off the field he told the coach, "Coach, I'm hearing coat hangers!" Everyone laughed. (Metal coat hangers jangled together in the closet, for you young 'uns.) I can't tell you the number of times I saw stars and visual flashes during hits. Everyone knew we were talking about concussions and not everyone came back from concussions. Soccer causes head, neck, and knee injuries. Hockey? Oh my.

Guitar? Have you seen the early Clapton Crossroads concerts? There wasn't a guitarist in the lot over 70 who didn't have misshapen shoulders with the strap side low. How many of us are starting to see rotator cuff trauma from hugging a dread? How many are finding they can no longer hold up a Les Paul or schlep a Marshall amp because of back injury? Repeated stress injuries? And hearing damage from guitar amps, P.A.s, and monitors? Want to be told that guitar is no longer OSHA acceptable?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 PM

I have zero sympathy for this murdering sociopath but boy howdy, could he catch a football and run with it.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Frankly,many sports and performing arts are paths that everyone knows lead to strong potential of crippling injuries. Have you ever seen the feet of a ballerina after fifteen years? When I played football, broken bones and concussions were considered signs of involvement. A guy on my team was absolutely decked by a hit. When they peeled him off the field he told the coach, "Coach, I'm hearing coat hangers!" Everyone laughed. (Metal coat hangers jangled together in the closet, for you young 'uns.) I can't tell you the number of times I saw stars and visual flashes during hits. Everyone knew we were talking about concussions and not everyone came back from concussions. Soccer causes head, neck, and knee injuries. Hockey? Oh my.

Guitar? Have you seen the early Clapton Crossroads concerts? There wasn't a guitarist in the lot over 70 who didn't have misshapen shoulders with the strap side low. How many of us are starting to see rotator cuff trauma from hugging a dread? How many are finding they can no longer hold up a Les Paul or schlep a Marshall amp because of back injury? Repeated stress injuries? And hearing damage from guitar amps, P.A.s, and monitors? Want to be told that guitar is no longer OSHA acceptable?

Bob
Don't you think comparing guitar playing to full contact football is a pretty farfetched stretch?

Don
Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu
others, to murders committed by OJ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
In fairness, he did not commit any murders.
I don't know of anyone that believes that, but that's between OJ and his maker now. He'll have to deal with it.

Anyway, back to the original subject of the thread.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 09-21-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 PM

"After the criminal trial, the Brown and Goldman families filed a civil lawsuit against Simpson. On February 4, 1997, the jury unanimously found Simpson responsible for both deaths.[12] The families were awarded compensatory and punitive damages totaling $33.5 million, but have received only a small portion of that."

Back to the subject.......

I am an official on the field at every local varsity home football game. There are now rules and penalties in place at the high school level designed to drastically reduce the possibility of head/brain injury. I've always been a bit surprised these rules have not been applied to the pros, but it's obvious the remaining fan base likes the current level of violence in pro football.

Not to shirk...I'm a rugby and hockey fan myself.....
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 AM

We have all survived the single most traumatic event of our lives , in all likelihood , just by being born .
There are those amongst us that desire to direct our individual lives in accordance with their eyes and opinions . They are wrong .
More people are sent to the hospital every day because of stairs , chairs , ladders , kitchen utensils .........
I will not try to control your life . Please show me the same courtesy .
We all make choices . Many choose to not live in a cocoon of relative safety and life is dangerous . Those that are willing to take the dangerous path are necessary or we risk stagnation as a species . This is not good .
Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Don't you think comparing guitar playing to full contact football is a pretty farfetched stretch?

Don
I prefer to think of levels of deliberate risk-taking on a continuum. When I took up rock climbing I knew that the ground was down there and would stop any unplanned fall, and it did. I sure didn't want someone else telling me whether or not I could. Once you invite the government onto the continuum there's no turning back.

Bob

Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I always wonder about NFL players seemingly placing all the blame for CTE on the league. They chose to play, they weren't forced into it. They also have a players association that could help provide research on player safety/helmet design. IIRC there is a helmet out there that is safer but none of the players will wear it because it's larger and they think it makes them look like dorks.

Just like the rest of society the NFL is blamed because they have the deepest pockets.
The reason they were blamed is because when the research came out connecting CTE to football, they denied it and tried to shut players and doctor's up. In fact, some NFL execs threatened to kill the main doctor who discovered CTE! It took several years of people coming out and speaking up about as well as several players and their families being negatively affected for them to accept responsibility and make changes towards protecting players.

I know people will say it's the players fault for choosing to play. This is only true now as players know the risk is there. But the players that suffered TBI issues before the connection was made between football and CTE, I find it hard to blame that as they simply did not know.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I prefer to think of levels of deliberate risk-taking on a continuum. When I took up rock climbing I knew that the ground was down there and would stop any unplanned fall, and it did. I sure didn't want someone else telling me whether or not I could. Once you invite the government onto the continuum there's no turning back.

Bob
The OP did not suggest government involvement. The OP asked two questions "How long can the NFL postpone taking definitive action? And will the fans oppose modifications to the game that would reduce the human toll?

The consequences of falling while climbing are immediate while the consequences of CTE are not. At the professional level, let those who are able to play at this level make an informed decision of the long-term risks as this is their livelihood. At all other levels (non professional), improving participant safety should continual be reviewed, and parents and young adults need to be provided the information and understand the risks to make an informed decision.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
The OP did not suggest government involvement. The OP asked two questions "How long can the NFL postpone taking definitive action? And will the fans oppose modifications to the game that would reduce the human toll?
You know, you've got me there. But I suppose the next question is, "Is it necessary to control grown-ups to prevent them from making choices that can have results down the line?"
Quote:
The consequences of falling while climbing are immediate while the consequences of CTE are not.
Um, no. Not all. I got away with some pretty spectacular falls years ago but am beginning to "enjoy" the long-term results as I, um, so-called mature. In fact, even as I speak!
Quote:
At the professional level, let those who are able to play at this level make an informed decision of the long-term risks as this is their livelihood. At all other levels (non professional), improving participant safety should continual be reviewed, and parents and young adults need to be provided the information and understand the risks to make an informed decision.
Yup, can easily agree with that. Informed is always better. Eyes wide open, dear friends, as we enter the breach.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic