The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default iOS 11 now available

I just downloaded iOS 11, some interesting features that really make this seem like major update. No problem with download and install.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM

My 7 Plus and S2 watch have the upgrades and they seem fine.

People might want to know this is end of the road for old 32 bit apps that haven't been updated by their publishers. A few music utilities I got maybe as far back as 2008 or 9 had to be deleted. Some obsolete apps I deleted were kind of a non-issue thanks to responsive design web sites and what your phone's browser does now.

The Calendar app has a same bug I saw prior where some meeting invites still show the Accept, Maybe and Decline after you responded so I'm starting to think that's a Google or Microsoft server side problem.

Per history or tradition, the Ars Technica site has their review. There are always many but they cover a lot of detail and spare the emotion site sites or sources have.

My very selfish biggest concern at the moment is my Cyclemeter app not be broken because I'm on track to be riding 50% more than last year.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Can i upgrade my 6+ iphone to 11
Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
The article that I referenced has the compatibility list as well as what features are based on hardware. I'm pretty sure 5S is the cutoff.

Remember that it's end of the road for old 32 bit apps. You might want to search for compatibility and delete what might not work ahead of time.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:50 PM

i'm a late adopter, so i'll wait a while for .1

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
It is on the compatibility list. Here is a short article with some insights. https://www.macworld.com/article/319...=mw_daily_html
It does look quite a bit different and those people who don’t like change and have anxiety issues when trying to figure out new tech stuff, this might cause stress
Old 09-20-2017, 12:45 AM
Guest316

I've played with it all day on my SE. Great update, nice transitions and cool graphics. The look and feel is not very different than 10.3.3, so nothing to be skeered of lol.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Update crashed my 7 in process. Took up 3 hr of my time to recover because recover didn't work either. (finally used a different port and cable-go figure).

BTW-I now loathe the "Recover" screen.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:53 AM

Updated my elderly iPod Air 2 last night. Took a while, but no issues.

Last edited by AX17609; 09-24-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Update crashed my 7 in process. Took up 3 hr of my time to recover because recover didn't work either. (finally used a different port and cable-go figure).

BTW-I now loathe the "Recover" screen.
I've had bad cables and non-Apple cables cause update and restore problems and in worst or most unfortunate cases discovered it was the USB port that's actually a permanent connection to the motherboard of a system. Worst personally was that leading to giving up one of our family laptops.

Last year there was a problem for some who did an over the air update while the phone was mounted in iTunes. I was one of those x thousand. The Apple tech who did great support said the process saw the old version backup.

I've never had problems with the Apple brand cables the are good shape, and some well known brand ruggedized cables I use.

We have around 50 company owned devices that will get the upgrade and 148 BYOD users I support so I'll surely see or hear of some hiccups and report things that might help.

One of my kids had his watch reset during the upgrade. So far all's well with my phone and watch.

I'm thrilled that a sports tracking app I use got an update yesterday and all the updates have it working better than ever. My all important time tracking app and some enterprise apps I count on are all fine.

My twins have iPhone 6 and the update seems fine on the now older phone.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

The update went smoothly on all devices, except one of the older, first generation iPad Airs in which some of the pictures were lost during the update. However, I have them backed up, so no big deal. Four other devices were updated without a hitch.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:14 PM

I hate doing Apple updates. They invariably slow the iphone/iPad down. My old iPad 2 became unusable after upgrades, forced me to buy a new one. Is that their strategy?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 PM

My updates went smoothly. I backed up my devices when still in 10.3.3 just in case, but no problems. Had to re-enter my Apple ID & iCloud password when prompted, but no problem. Tech support assures me I needn't do another backup in iOS 11 in order to transfer everything to the new iPhones.

I was able to resurrect my old 5S (which I thought was "bricked" because it wouldn't recognize either my current iCloud password or the one in effect when I bought it. Apple's tech said all I had to do was treat it as if the "original owner" had given it to me, and instruct said "original owner" (moi) to remove it from her list of authorized devices. So I de-authorized it and was able to set it up as an iPod. Was also able to download my playlists to it for use on planes & other places where an internet connection was unavailable. And as a pleasant surprise, was even able to download a large playlist to my Apple Watch so that I can listen to my music in the gym via AirPods with my phone safely in my locker.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:40 AM

I always wait until the phone prompts me to do updates and have never had a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I hate doing Apple updates. They invariably slow the iphone/iPad down. My old iPad 2 became unusable after upgrades, forced me to buy a new one. Is that their strategy?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The strategy with OS upgrades is most always fix problems, fix or improve security, enable new hardware features and enable new capabilities in application programs.

An iPad 2 is particularly tough or inappropriate for criticism now because all models since have had significantly different display technology that by itself made the tablet market change.

My kids' iPhone 6 are fine with the 11 version upgrade and quite like some features. It (the upgrade) fully enables other latest stuff such as my son's watch that got a very significant upgrade from all this.

At work we have dozens of iPads split between training and tools our web order and delivery division use. Basic not so tech saavy staff are immediately happy and not complaining.

It leaves me firm on thinking you've got their strategy wrong. Sure we both share owning an older iPad not getting the upgrade but I see a whole lot of not new devices working fine with it and people happy with the new features it all offers.

On the upgrade itself: With lots of users and devices at work plus 5 at home I'm not yet feeling problems.

-The reported mail issue struck a friend with premises Exchange 2016 and was resolved with a change to his 2 factor authentication.
-The Files app had G Suite file association problems at first but now opens Excel files as Sheets docs.
-I don't see the reported control center issue for radios as a bug. Airplane mode shuts off the radios. The other disconnects connections. That's actually fast performance for my world where a site has 5-9 access points serving different networks and each of our Meraki networks has at least 3 SSIDs (network names).

There's a watch problem with open WiFi and LTE networks. I'm sure they'll have a fix soon. I'm surprised by the interest my wife and a few associates have with the cellular service watch.

Finally, one associate with a 5S - I think lowest on the list that gets the upgrade - blew all modern fashion and style with telling the truth. He said his 5S was already slow but he likes the change to mail display.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic