The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Preventing wood colors from bleeding onto lighter wood

I'm working on a project that has alternating pieces of Redheart and Maple.
When I shot a coat of lacquer sanding sealer, the color from the Redheart bled onto the maple.

How can I prevent this from happening?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:31 AM

You may not be able to prevent it. Not sure about how easily redheart color extracts, but some woods' color will extract with any of the common finish solvents. Cocobolo is particularly troublesome.

Experiment. First try shellac as a sealer. If that doesn't stop it, I've had some luck with egg white.

Why are you using lacquer sanding sealer? In most cases it is a completely unnecessary product that actually makes the lacquer adhere worse, and has worse transparency than lacquer. It's only purpose is to speed work in some production settings by cutting sanding time.

And it can be helpful to say what it is you are making.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post

Experiment. First try shellac as a sealer. If that doesn't stop it, I've had some luck with egg white.

Why are you using lacquer sanding sealer?

Wow! This is why I value the advice I get here so much.

I'm using lacquer sanding sealer because that's what the lacquer instructions recommend, but I'm certainly up for suggestions for alternatives.

I also tried shellac (sprayed). It bled less, but it still bled. Since I can also brush shellac I've thought about using it in a more targeted fashion, brushing right up to the line between the maple and the redheart, doing the redheart first, then the maple. Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

The item in question is a turning that alternating sections of maple and redheart to make stripes. It looks cool until the finish gets added!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM

The finish companies recommend their sanding sealer so you will buy two products instead of one.

If you are spraying shellac, try misting a few coats it on kind of dry--spray from further away and don't let enough build up in one coat so that it flows out. That gives less opportunity for the solvent (alcohol) to soak the wood. The lacquer you spray on top of the shellac will melt it so it levels and adheres.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
The item in question is a turning that alternating sections of maple and redheart to make stripes. It looks cool until the finish gets added!
Why not just finish the turning with a carnauba wax finish, applied on the lathe straight after the final sanding?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM

I had luck with a spray can of shellac. Small amount of bleeding that I could live with. Misted it on several times. Then French polish.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Misting shellac from a spray can seems to have worked. Even after practicing repeatedly on a test piece, I still had some bleeding, but I sanded those out before subsequent coats. The atomization from the spray can isn't that fine. With the benefit of hindsight, I might have mixed my own shellac and sprayed with a touch up gun where I'd have had more control over the pattern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair