The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I do see what looks like that crossgrain damage on the inside photos, just to the treble side of the centerline and running in an irregular patter for about 2"(unless it is a stain).

35 years ago, originality was less of a value, and many people had their tuners replaced with Grovers or Schallers for better function. The original tuners were not valuable, and got tossed into a box by the person doing the replacement. It was not considered "nicking."
Yes, as far as the tuners are concerned I could see being guilty of looking at it through a 2017 lens and not a 1980 perspective; I have always been the type to keep original parts, though, even when there is hardly a chance of them being seen as necessary or even valuable.

Great advice. Thank you.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Spruce graft education, examples from some of the best, and free of charge. link

Absolutely! Rotomatics were a big "upgrade" at one time. Look at photos of Dudley Connell and his '43 D-28. You'll see big Rotomatic buttons in most of them. Only recently has he replaced those with more period correct tuners.
Awesome link and discussion.... THANK YOU!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 PM

You've had some great advice already in this thread. If you're willing to send the guitar as far as the Chicago area, I can personally recommend Marc Babin at Babin Guitars (babinguitars.com). He is an authorized repair person for Gibson and many other makes, and has always gone out of his way to do the best for my multiple guitars. Please give him your consideration, he's always done right by me, even when I threw something unusual his way.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

A great vintage Gibson guy on the east coast is David Sheppard in Mt Airy North Carolina

David Sheppard Instruments & Repairs
Old 09-26-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco7 View Post
I just wanted to say good luck! She looks amazing!
This...and welcome to the forum...
Old 09-26-2017, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgesquire View Post
Western New York...

But really, any suggestions help. Someone recommended a luthier in Seattle, and if I thought he was the best for the job I'd ship it across the country.
If you live in Western NY, then you should consider contacting Cristian Mirabella. He is on Long Island, NY. A world class luthier who builds and restores super high end/rare hollow body Jazz Guitars and acoustics. Widely acknowledged as one of the very best.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgesquire View Post
I live in the Western New York area, but don't mind shipping it for the right luthier.

What concerns me most is the depression in front of the bridge.
Hi jfgesquire...

As Todd Yates just recommended above me a few posts...check out Steve Kovacik...he is a tremendous luthier and restoration expert...you don't need to go any further than your own home state with Steve!!!

duff
Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. Just keep in mind that a new very playable J-45 sells for $2,300 and used models in good condition sell for less.

If it's for sentimental reasons go for it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Welcome to the forum. Just keep in mind that a new very playable J-45 sells for $2,300 and used models in good condition sell for less.

If it's for sentimental reasons go for it.
I would probably have to go at least to $1,500 to find a decent J-45 that needs NO work. The wood on this sounds incredible, even in its current state. The newer J-45 Vintage model is the only one I've tried that sounds close.

Yes, there's sentimental value, too, but I think there's lots of financial room before that even comes into play....I HOPE!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Congratulations and welcome.
Whatever the work involved I'd do and consider it fortunate to have the chance to even attempt to restore something like that .
I'd have a literal ball with that project....funds permitting of course.
Best of luck with it...keep us up.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Looking on Ebay, again, there are close to 400 J-45's available ranging from about $1,400.00 to $10,000.00 and a few asking even more. Yours is a 1946, which would not be considered pre-war, but, certainly one of the older collectible ones. Yours might be worth quite a lot. About 80% of the listings say "from Japan". Most of the higher priced ones say "from Japan" Wonder what that's all about?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion