The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM

Reviving a dead thread, but I just bought a Journey OF420B (burst) at Guitar Showcase, an LGS in San Jose. It was the only Journey they had in stock, and I was able to get it for $620 out-the-door (including tax.) I had been contemplating perhaps getting the OF660 (carbon fiber) model, but I have a ten-day trip coming up next week, and have begun to get a bit paranoid about gatechecking my Emerald X7. I love that guitar too much to keep putting it at risk! I had the cash in hand for the wooden Journey right now vs waiting until after the trip for a carbon fiber one, so it was a pretty easy decision. Depending how this works, I may eventually get the carbon fiber one, anyway.

I will take some photos to post tonight, but have a few quick observations:
The guitar plays well -- the 1 3/4 width at the nut ensures that the fretboard is sufficiently spacious for me, and the fretwork are good. The action is a bit higher than I normally prefer, but since they provided two bone nuts, I will likely sand down one of them to bring the action down a bit -- nothing too tough about that. The strings are a bit grungy on this (as indicated before, it was out on display), but I will rectify that soon. The tone is actually quite full for a guitar of this size, and to me pretty pleasing. It doesn't really compare to my Martin custom glossy OOO-15M, but I wasn't expecting it to. I haven't checked out the electronics yet, but plan to do that this week as well.

All in all, I think it's an interesting niche instrument. It is very comfortable for me to play and has a decent tone (although definitely attenuated in volume compared to the Martin or Emerald). Breaking down the instrument for travel is sort of scary, but I'm getting used to it, and the case is pretty ingenious. I have a small roller bag that fits under the seat in front of me on any airplane I've flown in, and this should fit in the overhead without issue, so I think I'm covered. There are sufficient compartments in the case to make it pretty functional, and it seems to be of very high quality in terms of construction.

I will probably revisit this thread when I return from this trip and give a full report.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
The action is a bit higher than I normally prefer, but since they provided two bone nuts, I will likely sand down one of them to bring the action down a bit -- nothing too tough about that.
Pump your brakes, there bsman. Your observation suggests you believe they gave you two saddles sized the same - they did not. As referenced in your owner's manual, the other saddle is a lower one you should install now. Don't sand anything before you do that. The lower saddle gave me perfect action on my OF510.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Pump your brakes, there bsman.

I'll check that out tonight, before I get out the power tools!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion