The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which top wood would you choose?
Top 1 19 20.43%
Top 2 8 8.60%
Top 3 61 65.59%
Top 4 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I think you are missing something. He said no 3 would be good sonically. However he did not say the others would not be.
In your original statement (that I quoted), the phrase was that they would all work "equally sonically." I'm not doubting that they would all produce a fine sounding guitar, but his quote (that I quoted) seems to clearly indicate he thinks #3 would be the best of the 4 sonically (otherwise, why would it be the one he "had decided to use"? why would he single it out?). In other words, they would all sound great, but he thinks #3 would sound greater, thus not being "equal" to the other three.

Hope that clarifies my point. And, btw, #3 is the best looking top of the 4 imo.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 09-24-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM

None of the 4 tops displays in these photos the kind of runout some AGF members have been vocal about, which is in the whole board and detectable by a visible color change at the centerline.

Tops 1, 2, and 4 display local runout--i.e., they have curl, and curl is runout. If you insist on no visible runout, then it's nix to any curly figure.

#3 has light and dark color changes. That is not runout.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:23 AM

I would go with #3. The darker lines will lighten up due to UV radiation if you leave the guitar on a stand near a window - assuming you would like the darker lines to lighten up.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
In your original statement (that I quoted), the phrase was that they would all work "equally sonically." I'm not doubting that they would all produce a fine sounding guitar, but his quote (that I quoted) seems to clearly indicate he thinks #3 would be the best of the 4 sonically (otherwise, why would it be the one he "had decided to use"? why would he single it out?). In other words, they would all sound great, but he thinks #3 would sound greater, thus not being "equal" to the other three.

Hope that clarifies my point. And, btw, #3 is the best looking top of the 4 imo.
He said no top was clearly sonically better then the others. He chose 3 because he thought it looked the best visually. Which it seems most here agree.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
He said no top was clearly sonically better then the others. He chose 3 because he thought it looked the best visually. Which it seems most here agree.
But that's not what the quote said.

Quote:
#3 is the one I had decided to use. I think its straight and close knit grain will make a great sounding guitar.
Great-sounding, not great-looking (though it is that too, of course ) Again, I'm sure any choice will sound fine, but his words indicate he gives the edge sonically to #3. Maybe it's only a slight edge, but an edge is clearly implied. And since that's your choice of top too, that's a good thing
Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
But that's not what the quote said.

Great-sounding, not great-looking (though it is that too, of course ) Again, I'm sure any choice will sound fine, but his words indicate he gives the edge sonically to #3. Maybe it's only a slight edge, but an edge is clearly implied. And since that's your choice of top too, that's a good thing
You are parsing the words too much. I'm telling you what he told me but if you want to keep focusing on the one quote you may.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion