The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default SOLD Buendia Jumbo in German spruce/Brazilian - Magnificence In Wood

After much consideration, I have decided to offer for sale my Buendia Jumbo, serial# 25, custom-made for me in 2017 by Leonardo Buendia, when he was ending his apprenticeship with Ervin Somogyi and beginning to build under his own name.

This guitar may be familiar to many here through a variety of resources.

– Here’s the original build thread (5 pages; 23,008 views; 67 comments) I posted to document its creation.
– I also wrote an exhaustive review of the guitar with updates, which many here have commented on. You can find it here in the ‘Instrument Reviews’ section of my website.
– More than a few AGF members have had the opportunity to see and play this guitar at the Swannanoa Gathering.
– Leo is a good friend, and we talk from time to time. He asked if he could quote my comments on the guitar, which appear on his 'Testimonials' page, with photos of this guitar, and more photos of it on his 'Jumbo' page.
– Here's the webpage that Dream Guitars made for it, with a video of my friend Al Petteway playing it. Al wrote:

I think this Buendia Jumbo is one of the finest guitars I've played at Dream Guitars. Even played lightly, it has a stunning voice which is perfectly balanced and super responsive.

I asked Leo to build me something with a sound that was ‘Huge & Exquisite’ and let him choose most of the specs. To that end, this is one of only two 12-fret Jumbos built by Leo that I know of. The other was built for Paul Heumiller of Dream Guitars who can, of course, choose to own any guitars in the world. It's a testament to the quality of this Buendia that, when mine arrived, Paul liked it so much that he commissioned Leo to build another for him. You can find the webpage for Paul’s Jumbo here.

The links I’ve posted here should tell you everything you might want to know about this guitar, so I’ll simply say that in my nearly 60-year playing career, this is unquestionably the finest instrument I have ever been privileged to own. It is simply The Best.

Leo has a multi-year waitlist. Justonwo’s current Buendia build thread here on the AGF notes that he got on Leo’s list eight years ago and only now has the build started. It is uncommon to find one for sale. In the past few years I've received several unsolicited inquiries from persons in China wanting to buy this guitar.

Here’s a quick rundown of its main features:

– Buendia Jumbo in German spruce over Brazilian rosewood.
– 12-fret mahogany neck
– Ebony fretboard & headplate
– Florentine cutaway
– Manzer wedge
– EVO frets
– West African hard ivory (WAHI) nut & saddle
– Brazilian rosewood bridge
– Amboyna accents for rosette, headplate and fret markers
– Hoffee case, red w/ gold interior

From my conversations with Leo, I know he does incremental price increases each year, so a new Buendia with the specs listed above would now probably price out north of $30K.

I am offering it for sale at SOLD. Not interested in trades. Serious inquiries only, please.

One final word:

Currently, I have three incredible guitars for sale here on the forum. I’m not selling them because I need the money and would be happy to keep them. For decades, I have been slowly and patiently collecting only the very finest instruments I could find; the Best of the Best (see my signature), and the only reason I’m letting these three go is because they are being neglected in favor of my other guitars. As their steward, I feel an obligation to put guitars this great into the hands of those who will play them.

If you have questions, you may post them in this thread or contact me directly at: [email protected].

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 02-29-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Magnificent is the right word, Jim. And your review alone is exquisite.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:04 PM

Simply exquisite!
Old 02-28-2024, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Jim is a great guy to deal with here on the forum and Leo Buendia builds incredible guitars, I’ve played 3 or 4 of them over the years! Whoever ends up with this beauty will be pleased with it!! GLWS

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 02-29-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

The guitar is now sold. Thanks for your comments everyone.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars