The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Id go with the ADL before the 610. Having two inputs for recording is a plus. The A Designs Pacifica is another nice choice! I have an Avalon AD2022 that is great for anything. What interface are you using to get the signal into the computer?

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 04-26-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 PM

Ok thanks...at the moment I am using an RME Fireface as my interface...it's not a dedicated interface as such, as it is a preamp/ line in unit too. RME are quite respected I guess.

What do you think?

Also, is the ADL600, since it's a tube setup, a preamp that can generate 'colour' or grit for the want of better words?

I've looked at the Grace m101 as a very transparent unit...just looking into other options.

By the way, for tracking acoustic guitar and vocals do you think it is incredibly important to have a channel strip with compression and eq? Maybe for vocals I suppose it would be handy.

Last edited by hello people; 04-26-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 AM

At the budget end !

Golden Age DLX preamp

Warm Audio Compressor/Limter

Golden Age Compressor

These are all wonderful pieces of kit, perhaps, not in the league of the big stuff but not far behind. And a lot cheaper.
Martin J40

Last edited by Andy Howell; 04-28-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 AM

Ah ok more for me to check out.

Thank you

Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM

What mics are you using?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:40 PM

I have a

Neumann u87ai
CAD m177
MXL 770
Rode nt5 stereo set

And a few others I can't think of right now
Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lee View Post

or-----
Just keep recording clean and do all comps/eq's ITB (this has been my method for 10 years+)

Any input is appreciated :-)
-Ivan
If it ain't broke why fix it. If you have finished material you're pleased with and ready to record it, you might want to consider taking the money and going to a quality studio to lay down the tracks. If you have some leftover consider yourself fortunate and upgrade something in your recording chain. Then you can focus on the music.

My Acoustics

1971 Martin D28
1973 Guild D50
2014 Taylor 814ce Ltd Coco
2015 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2018 Ibanez Artwood AC240 (Nashville string setup)
Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Actually with further consideration Ivan I agree with "rumamuck". I am thinking an EQ and Compressor added to what you have might be be a better move.

Again being an A Designs fanboy the Nail Compressor and what has now become probably the favorite selling for ADesigns the EM-EQ 2 based on the venerable Pultec

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/em-eq2-pultec-style-eq.htm

Also another tube comp that is much less known but getting some really good buzz is the Tubecore 3U

http://www.igsaudio.com/tubecore-3u

Even though these units are particularly favored as Mix Bus final stage units, all can and do in many studio's serve dual purpose tracking and mix outboard units which to my mind gives them added value for the serious home recordist who is trying to do as much as possible with fewer units.

These are probably the choices I would make for my ultimate home recording set up.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-05-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lee View Post
Hey all,

What a great bunch of input!! Taking them in order --

1) Seventh Circle, always been intrigued but like the cobbler and the shoes, being a EE type makes building my own somehow less appealing :-).....

2) 500 series in general, Such a great idea! If I were recording full bands all the time and needed just one or two of this or that and was patching signal chains together then a big yes. But at heart I am a simple guy and only need a couple of well matched pieces that I find easy to use. In the end price for two great channels is not remarkably different. But the flexibility in the 500 series once you are "in".... amazing!

3) Avalon 737 and Portico 5012 -- had both of these and remember them fondly.......

4) Renting and hearing in my own environment! Absolutely agree. My local pro audio guy is already giving me a loan on a used 737 and some chameleon Labs pieces to get me started. But you guys remind me that with a few dollars and some effort I can bring in any or all of the most likely pieces (STT1, Quartet, MP2A etc....). Very sound advice! I don't know if the 737 will do it but bringing in one or two key pieces to A/B against my current crop can really help reground me as to how much change/improvement/inspiration I receive! Cause........

5) Unlike diehard purists, I have worked ITB for 15 years and have collected some very nice tools that really work well. Past tracking I am still most likely to stay ITB. But I will once again put myself to the test and try an OTB solution vs ITB tools again.... just to re-callibrate.

6) Kev, I also think some tubes are the likely addition to broaden the palette. A-designs has a great reputation but I have never tried their stuff.

7) Alohachris -- any idea about a hi-end Hawaii pro audio maker from like 15 years ago. I want to say it was all black and had a small palm tree logo??

8) Robert, GML also another stelar reputation, I can rent one local so.......

9) And then what if I went for a great ribbon mic and looked at upgrading those M300's to schoeps instead :-)..........

So much fun to think about! But gigs all weekend and have to run.........

Thanks again to all........

Warning.... hi end gear discussion.......... too funny!
I didn't notice what mic's you have. The mic's are really the most important part of the equation outside of talent and good sounding instruments. The difference between a really top end mic and a cheap one will be very apparent. You will notice the difference with preamps and outboard gear more when you have great mic's, really good monitors and hopefully a somewhat accurate sounding room.

My chain is a Great River ME1-NV, Empirical Labs Distressor and Groove Tube Brick. I also use the Focusrite Red at the studio I record at a lot. My favorite combination is the Focusrite Red and AKG 414. I sometimes add a Royer as well.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:55 PM

You may want to check out the Warm Audio boxes. I have the TB 12 Tone Beast
API vibe lots of options. It may seem overwhelming but I as studied it and read many a review before purchase and pretty much have grip on the settings available. Price around 6 bills. The WA76 compressor based on a 1176 same price as above and for EQ the EQP-WA Pultec tube EQ is around 7 bills. So you can do the math. around 3800 for two of each. I haven't read many negative reviews and they are getting a good Rep. So far I am very pleased with the Tone Beast.
USA Cinemag Transformers and all American parts built in China I suppose. QC in the USA. With the TB 12 the Op amps are socketed and use the classic 2520 6 pin foot print and without soldering so they pop right out. Some go with the John Hardy op amps but voids the warranty but that might be splitting hairs as I love the way it is in stock form

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD