The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-08-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FWIW thetubestore.com has a tube package that swaps into a Blues Junior, and gets you very close to the classic blackface tone associated with the Princeton/Deluxe Reverb:

https://www.thetubestore.com/blues-j...remium-package

FYI the 7189 power tubes (a heavy-duty industrial substitute for the 6BQ5 and EL84 used in vintage American and British amps respectively) are Soviet-era mil-spec surplus, the Eastern Bloc equivalent of the American JAN tubes all the hardcore Fender guys would sell their 'nads to get, and are as tough and long-lasting as you would expect. BTW I've been using this exact set in my Bugera V22 combo for the last 12 years with no signs of quitting, and with the high-efficiency (~102dB/1W/1M) replacement Eminence Swamp Thang speaker it sounds like a 50-/60-watt American 2x12" combo rather than a $350 MIC practice/small-room amp - big, fat, round, and smooth, with none of the brashness associated with the EL84 (this puppy will hang with my '65 Super reissue right to the limits of my hearing, and handle a 600-700 seat house with no problem); the only caveat is that you absolutely will need to get a rebias job (about $100 in my neck of the woods), but once you do you'll not only have tone/headroom for days but they'll likely outlive your grandkids...
So if I had two pair what would I get? Used but they last forever. Mind you the Scott output transformers might make the beginnings of a good amplifier.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

You should be able to get a good clean blues tone out of this amp. What kind of guitar are you playing? How is your amp set? What don’t you like about your current tone?
Old 11-17-2023, 08:42 PM

I have a ‘90s Blues Junior that I bought new and played a lot back then in a loud blues rock band. That thing sounds good when it’s cranked up loud. I always had the boost on, even when playing clean. Sounds better that way. I eventually started playing amps with two 12s and more power so I could push more air, but I kept the BJ anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars