The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-10-2023, 10:28 AM

I need to try out a Sire. Heard good things about them.

On another "note" - since it's been mentioned - I absolutely love my 2014 PRS S2 Custom 22 with Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB pups.

Got it used off Craigslist for $700 a few years ago. Fantastic guitar. It's become one of my favorites in the stable.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:19 PM

I just ordered a Sire L7, because the lovingly reviewed Epiphone '59 Les Pauls I played were utter garbage. If this were an Epiphone-hating thread, I'd give you chapter and verse. But it isn't, so I won't. Suffice it to say that the reality of that instrument in no way matched the reviews I had seen. The Sire couldn't possibly be worse, but we'll see in a couple of days.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Has anyone tried one of the Sire Larry Carlton guitars? Comments?
I've never played a Sire electric guitar, but I own a V5 bass, which is their version of a passive Fender Jazz Bass. Great instrument, especially for the price.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-17-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I just ordered a Sire L7, because the lovingly reviewed Epiphone '59 Les Pauls I played were utter garbage. If this were an Epiphone-hating thread, I'd give you chapter and verse. But it isn't, so I won't. Suffice it to say that the reality of that instrument in no way matched the reviews I had seen. The Sire couldn't possibly be worse, but we'll see in a couple of days.
The Sire L7 just arrived from Sweetwater, and it's everything I hoped it would be. I'd show you a photo, but I don't have the ability. Go to Sweetwater's website and look the model in Tobacco Sunburst.

It outclasses the Epiphone '59 I played by a thousand miles. Clean and unblemished. Beautiful gloss finish. Lovely action for something right out of the box, and the intonation was set correctly. Locking tuners, ebony fretboard with lightly rolled edges, medium jumbo frets and a neck profile that's almost reverse tapered. It's very comfortable above the 12th fret. Finish on the back is satin, not gloss. Pots are audio taper with a "D" profile. Although distinctly a Les Paul, it doesn't have the grit of the '59 reproductions; it's more sophisticated. You can get that tone, but you have to do it with your amp.

Phil McKnight has a very excellent 'out of box' review of this guitar on his YouTube channel, so I don't need to repeat all the points here. One correction, however, is that this guitar no longer has the treble bleed circuitry that Phil noted. That's fine with me; I would have ripped it out, anyway. One point he makes that I'll re-emphasize is the extraordinary balance of this instrument. It just sits on your right thigh and doesn't tip either way. It weighs 8lbs/11oz and feels light as a feather. Remarkable.

I continue to be astonished at the quality of musical equipment that you can buy these days for less than the cost of a golf driver.

Update -- Just for kicks and because I already owned a set, I took out the Sire pickups, installed Seth Lovers and reconfigured the wiring to 50s specs. It honestly didn't make much difference. Future buyers should know that the Sire pickups are fine just the way they are...as is the wiring.

Last edited by AX17609; 06-21-2023 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 11-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played one yet, but I am shopping for a Strat w/ a Rosewood board.

I've seen several video reviews of Sire S3. The one below is the most straightforward IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FDotDGRNCA

I am thinking $399 is worth the risk. Sweetwater is presently backordered. I like the black color.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 11-06-2023 at 04:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars