The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A plug for Ensor Guitars' "Ultimate Binding Jig"

This thread may be a little off topic but I know there are several guitar builders who frequent this forum, both pros and amateurs alike. Therefore, I just wanted to raise awareness of our own AGF sponsor Ensor Guitars for his Ultimate Binding Jig. Chris designed a binding channel cutter that has proven priceless in our shop. Set up is simple and it has saved me so much time and frustration over the previous jigs I've used in the past. If you are unsatisfied with the jig you are using now or are looking for a professional quality, precision tool that is the best on the market, IMO, please give Chris a call. After you use his Ultimate Binding Jig the first time, you'll understand why he deserves credit for making our lives just a little bit easier. Thanks Chris!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:48 AM

I made something very similar to that out of plywood which works quite well but that's a nice looking jig with some very fine adjustments to it. The best part about it is that you can store it away so easily and you don't need a dedicated binding bench.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 AM

The side clamps look interesting also, don't know how he can sell it for that price either.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:20 PM

Having seen it firat hand at Woodstock last year I can attest to the quality of the machining, fit and finish. And a great guy to boot.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:20 PM

It really looks like a beautiful tool. I only wish it would work on my beveled guitars, but alas!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:01 PM

I can't wait until I have another guitar ready for binding just so I can use mine. I quickly became a Kett-style convert on my last guitar, then picked up one of Chris' jigs the second I saw it available on the OLF due to the setup improvements over dumbbells. The fact that it's beautiful is a free prize.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Chris has made a fine tool. Its what I use for cutting all my channels. It gives a flexibility that I like since a lot of my bindings and purfling are custom and I am not restricted by which bearings I have on hand to make channels for those custom fits.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM

Thanks Tim!

I love hearing how helpful the Ultimate Binding Jig is for so many luthiers. That's the reason why I got involved in the tool side of the business in the first place.

In related news, I will be launching a separate division of my company soon (hopefully very soon) that will be focused on high quality tooling, supplies, and services for luthiers. Keep an eye out for that one. It'll include the Ultimate Binding Jig, side clamps, rolling pin sanders, and some new stuff I'm pretty excited about.

Happy building.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Rolling pin sanders...I like the sound of that.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Rolling pin sanders...I like the sound of that.
They're a real joint saver!... cause you only have so much elbow grease and then it's gone.

Rolling Pin Sanders
Old 03-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Default Chris

I can't attest to the jig (because I don't make guitars...just order/design/sell); but I have two of his guitars and they are great!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM

Tim, have your tried the binding cutter on a florentine cutaway? Most of my guitars have that style of cutaway, and I'm wondering if it gets tipsy while going around the tip of the cutaway, or it feels uncomfortable. Chris, feel free to chime in as well if you see this.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
Tim, have your tried the binding cutter on a florentine cutaway? Most of my guitars have that style of cutaway, and I'm wondering if it gets tipsy while going around the tip of the cutaway, or it feels uncomfortable. Chris, feel free to chime in as well if you see this.
Hi Ryan,
Yes, I’ve used it on Florentine and Venetian cutaways with no issues. I’ve not used it on the actual Florentine point though. I always default to a Dremel for that task.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
I've used it on florentine style cutaways multiple times with no problems.

One way to get used to the mechanics of moving the instrument around the jig is to cut a purfling sized channel on the actual instrument- it'll get covered later by your binding channel. This is especially helpful when approaching a new feature like a cutaway.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:18 PM

I’ve used it on a number of Florentine cutaways, and it’s great. Thanks Chris.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop