The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM

Default Truss Rod Wrench (for Martin)

Sorry if this is common knowledge. I’m on the app and not sure how I can search from the app.

The question is, is there a specific kind of truss rod wrench I need to get for a Martin guitar or are they all pretty much standard?

If you would please recommend one, preferably from Amazon, I would appreciate much.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Guest 1928

You'll need a 5mm wrench, preferably ball end, and it needs to be about 4.5" long to reach the 2-way rod used on your Martin.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Sorry if this is common knowledge. I’m on the app and not sure how I can search from the app.

The question is, is there a specific kind of truss rod wrench I need to get for a Martin guitar or are they all pretty much standard?

If you would please recommend one, preferably from Amazon, I would appreciate much.
C.F. Martin has them on their website. They are $5.00 each plus $10 shipping. I bought one recently. They are 5mm with a ball end on the portion that reaches under the fingerboard.

They also have them on Amazon and I first ordered one there. It was never delivered after a week, so I got a refund.

If you have a single-action truss rod, the nut is close to the sound hole inside. If you have a double-action truss rod, the nut is farther inside and is flush with the face of the neck block.

The Martin wrench works with both of them. It's best to have the correct tool, since the ball end is much easier to get into the rod.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 PM

Thank you all.

I ended up ordering this.

Mr.Power 5mm Ball End Allen Wrench For Guitar Truss Rod Adjustment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VRUWC6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Thank you all.

I ended up ordering this.

Mr.Power 5mm Ball End Allen Wrench For Guitar Truss Rod Adjustment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VRUWC6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
I recently ordered something similar also. Price was about the same.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Easy on the truss rod.

It's wise to go easy on the truss rod when making adjustments. Some folks advice to lower the tension on the strings before making any adjustments.

Others will advise to gently pull the neck back after supporting the back of the neck towards the heel. That would be if you want to lessen relief.

If you have seen a truss rod up close, you will notice that they are not all that large and the threads are rather fine. That's true of both the single-acting and double-acting rods.

The point is that you don't want to damage the truss rod since replacement is no simple job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair