The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Let me second Ian's comments on the capabilities displayed by David's guitar. Mike played everything from delicate finger style to aggressive jazz/funk, and the guitar shone in every instance. I had the good luck to sit between two of the other builders involved in the project, Grit Laskin and Tony Duggan-Smith, and I think even they were a little surprised by some of the qualities Mike pulled out of David's guitar.

I know David's not a fan of public speaking, but in addition to being humble and self-deprecating, he's also very funny. The audience was killing themselves laughing through much of his discussion.

Congrats David, it was a great afternoon.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Wonderful video, David! I can only imagine how great the guitar sounds in person!

Hey Stan ... thanks for the kind words ... it was a fun one to make!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--that is a cool video indeed.

It's gotta be rather nerve-racking to burn those images into the wood. After that first stroke, there's certainly no turning back.

Really a breath-taking instrument, David--well done!!!
Thanks Nemoman ... very much appreciated! Yes, burning that top was right up there with the scariest thing I've ever done on a guitar, that's for sure!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenvir View Post
Let me second Ian's comments on the capabilities displayed by David's guitar. Mike played everything from delicate finger style to aggressive jazz/funk, and the guitar shone in every instance. I had the good luck to sit between two of the other builders involved in the project, Grit Laskin and Tony Duggan-Smith, and I think even they were a little surprised by some of the qualities Mike pulled out of David's guitar.

I know David's not a fan of public speaking, but in addition to being humble and self-deprecating, he's also very funny. The audience was killing themselves laughing through much of his discussion.

Congrats David, it was a great afternoon.
Hey Steve ... thanks SO much for coming out and supporting the project ... VERY much appreciated man!!!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I've just picked up my copy of the new long-version (104 minutes) of the Group of Seven Guitar Project documentary by Riddle Films and viewed it for the first time myself. Jason Charters, Liam Romalis and all of the talented folks at Riddle have outdone themselves, that's for sure. The production values are wonderful and their creativity is in full evidence with regards to content, editiing and, well ... everything! Kudos to all concerned!

Anyone who would like a copy of this, complete with a very nifty booklet ... drop me a PM or email and I'll get you hooked up.

This film will also be shown nation-wide (Canada) starting September 5th through Cineplex locations! For times and locations, click here

Old 09-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Kudos to everything about this project, but you know me David....I loved the build video and music the most. The wood burning/etching/art work on the front and tail are simply amazing....How you could get the detail in that with the tool you were using is simply impossible in my mind!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Years ago, I had the opportunity to view the "Blue Guitar" show with all those archtops commissioned by the late Scott Chinery. While the work was astonishing, the show made me sad. It was an awesome display of technical skill, complexity, fussiness, and decorativeness... all to what purpose I cannot say. It was so amazingly excessive... why? The Group of Seven project is utterly different, motivated as it is by friendship, love of the community of luthiery, of music, and of artistic heritage and expression -- respect for those who went before. Everything about it is uplifting -- not a whole lot of "look at me!" stuff going on. Thanks so much for this thread!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed this project, but there's no need to run down Chinery's Blue Guitars project. That was a labor of love on Scott's part, and showcased many luthiers who would otherwise not have had the exposure the project gave them.

The truth is that high-end builders rely on the willingness of affluent buyers to keep their operations on a paying basis, and twenty years ago, nobody put their money where their mouth is more than Scott Chinery.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post

Firmly under the heading "relentless self promotion" ... here's one of the posters I made for the "Acoustic Conversation" on August 27th at the McMichael gallery. For more info, go to http://mcmichael.com. I'll post more info as we get closer to the event.

Wow, that is a stunning guitar, David. Quite unique and original but with an authentic classic vibe. Very well done.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Wow, that is a stunning guitar, David. Quite unique and original but with an authentic classic vibe. Very well done.
You should see it in person

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post

I've just picked up my copy of the new long-version (104 minutes) of the Group of Seven Guitar Project documentary by Riddle Films and viewed it for the first time myself. Jason Charters, Liam Romalis and all of the talented folks at Riddle have outdone themselves, that's for sure. The production values are wonderful and their creativity is in full evidence with regards to content, editiing and, well ... everything! Kudos to all concerned!

Anyone who would like a copy of this, complete with a very nifty booklet ... drop me a PM or email and I'll get you hooked up.

This film will also be shown nation-wide (Canada) starting September 5th through Cineplex locations! For times and locations, click here

If you have not requested a copy from David, you all need to. I just got mine and it was just remarkable to watch. Any luthier or acoustic guitar enthusiast will totally enjoy the whole thing. Simply outstanding. I loved every minute of it. Thanks David for making this available and thanks for sending one to me.

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJohnson View Post
If you have not requested a copy from David, you all need to. I just got mine and it was just remarkable to watch. Any luthier or acoustic guitar enthusiast will totally enjoy the whole thing. Simply outstanding. I loved every minute of it. Thanks David for making this available and thanks for sending one to me.
Really glad you like it Wayne ... thanks for the kind words!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

left to right, Tony Duggan-Smith, Linda Manzer, Sergei de Jonge, Jean Larrivee, Grit Laskin, David Wren and George Gray

Well ... our Group of Seven Guitar Project wound up yesterday afternoon, with another sold out audience attending Grit's 2 1/2 hour lecture and performance "Give Me Wood and I'll Make It Sing". There's talk of the exhibit touring the U.K. , but for now, this is it. Apparently the show broke all attendance records for the gallery by a fair margin, so it's nice to out with a bang! Thanks to everyone who came out and supported the Project and to everyone here for being patient with my relentless posting!

Last edited by David Wren; 03-19-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 PM

I have the great pleasure of knowing a number of these folks as friends, and I can’t begin to tell you how proud I am of everything they’ve accomplished with this show.

And best of all? I finally got to meet Jean Larrivee, who started the whole thing, 40-some years ago.

Steve
Old 07-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Well ... it looks like this project has got legs ... the exhibit was shipped to the U.K. last month and opened for a run at Canada House in Trafalger Square, London England! What a journey this has been!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop