The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
......rarely use my tone controls, run my guitar volume at 10 all the time and control dynamics/color by touch......
Same here, except that I do use the tone controls on my Fenders sometimes to take some of the bite out of the bridge pickups. I like a full strength signal from the guitar going into the effects chain. To my ears, rolling off volume at the guitar changes my tone in ways that I don't like.

I do have a volume pedal at the end of my effects chain, but use it sparingly.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Not a home. And I don't gig anymore. But when gigging yes. Especially cover band situations with my Parker Fly. Even used the Piezo for "acoustic" sounds. Actually for Surf, and surf sounds, blending that piezo just right into the standard split coil sound on the fly turns it from strat to jaguar.

At home, more often than not I will play through a modelling amp. I still run my champ from time to time but nothing larger as it's so much easier to run a modeller and have total control over tone while being able to play whisper quiet if the situation calls for it (late at night). Modellers make pickup selection just not that important.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:45 PM

All of my electrics except my Strat have two pickups and all positions are used from time to time, although I don't use both pickups simultaneously a whole lot. I have a Gibson ES335 and the pickups are permanently wired out of phase which gives me (IMO) a kind of Gretsch sound that I use now and then. On my S-S-S Strat, I use all five positions with the exception of the middle pickup by itself. I don't care for that sound but that pickup earns it's keep when used with the bridge or neck pickup. It's also RW/RP so the in between positions are humbucking.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dru,

I don't play the electric as much as I used to, but I am always looking for just the right sound between my various guitars, and that approach tends to lead me down the path of trying just about every pickup combination I can think of. So, ... yes, I do.

- Glenn
Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 AM

My little Ibanez semi-hollow has the typical two humbuckers, and currently I only use the guitar for playing fingerstyle jazz..... I'm only using the neck PU as that seems to give the best tone for what I'm doing.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
I use all the pickup positions on my Strat and Tele.

On my Les Paul I only use the neck only and bridge only positions. I can't get a sound I like in the middle position.
Me too. Never really cared for that mid position sound.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Dru,

I don't play the electric as much as I used to, but I am always looking for just the right sound between my various guitars, and that approach tends to lead me down the path of trying just about every pickup combination I can think of. So, ... yes, I do.

- Glenn
Hi Glenn, great point. Experimenting with pickup combinations, and pickup heights, is just as important as experimenting with strings on an acoustic - lots of tonal options available.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Default My findings

I find that no matter what guitar I play
And no matter what p/u combo I use
I still sound like me.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
How does the 7 tone circuit work? I take that there is a position for each of the pickup combinations? I've never heard the front and back single coils used together at the same time.
I installed a jumper on the 5 way switch to activate the neck pickup with the bridge. When activated in position 2, all 3 pickups are active. A small toggle switch is installed to turn the neck pickup off. It's a fairly easy modification. Check the internet for "7 tone Stratocaster mod"; or

http://www.premierguitar.com/article...stratocaster-1
Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey everyone. There are numerous pickup configurations for guitars. The more popular ones are below (H=humbucker, S=single coil):

H-H (i.e. Les Paul)
H-H-H (i.e. custom Gibson)
S-S-S (i.e. Strat)
H-S-S (i.e. Strat / Super Strat)
H-S-H (i.e. Strat / Super Strat)

Do you use each of the pickups in your guitars? For example, if you have a Strat with S-S-S (3 single coils) do you use each of the pickups? I'll usually use each of the pickups, even if one might only get 5% usage for that single song ... except for one guitar.

What about you?
On my Strat I used to live in position 2 but a few years ago I began gettin' all positions involved in the fun. I play mostly clean rhythms in pos 2 and 5 but most lead parts on 3 & 5.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully View Post
I find that no matter what guitar I play
And no matter what p/u combo I use
I still sound like me.
So true Paully, I'm the same way. I still sound like me but the tone is a little different based on the pickup I'm using.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars