The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Default String bending on a strat.

I began learning string bending today and because of the curves radius of the fingerboard I am finding it hard to bend without getting the string higher than the one I am bending getting sort of stuck to my fingers. Any suggestions to improve my string bending?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Two fingers. Two. Use two.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-15-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Two fingers. Two. Use two.
I just have been using two like the book asks me to.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Hi Iron Horse. Do you know whether you have a vintage style 7.25" radius or a newer 9.5"? Also, is your action high?

I'm assuming you're trying to bend the high E/B/G strings?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:18 PM

multiple fingers. go under the string or strings you are bending towards. Radius doesn't matter in terms of the next string getting in your way. It does matter in how far you can bend before the string chokes off.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Iron Horse. Do you know whether you have a vintage style 7.25" radius or a newer 9.5"? Also, is your action high?

I'm assuming you're trying to bend the high E/B/G strings?
Yes those strings and I have a MIM strat whose radius I don't know.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:47 PM

I agree that radius really doesn't matter. The advice to use more than one finger is good. Also, don't forget that your picking hand can be useful in bending. Watch videos of accomplished players and you'll see that they often use their picking hand to mute and/or pull the adjacent strings--usually the string they're bending towards. This technique can help make the bend easier and better sounding.

Oh, and you can also bend *down*, depending on which string you're on and what effect you're trying to pull off.

Bending to the exact note you want is a real skill. Some people are natural "benders" and others (like me) have to work harder at it. Either way, you'll get there.

EDIT: Oh, you're bending on a STRAT! That adds some complexity. If your Strat has a floating bridge, then you'll need to bend a little farther to reach the note you want. With a floating bridge, the bridge will lift slightly in reaction to the increased string tension during the bend, forcing you to bend a little farther to counteract the bridge reaction. It's one of the common challenges for Strat players who like to "bend up" and hit a note on the next string, usually bending the third string up to hit a second-string note. Never seemed to bother David Gilmour, however.

Last edited by Sombras; 10-15-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
Yes those strings and I have a MIM strat whose radius I don't know.
If your action is too low you'll tend to do this, sort of getting tangled up in the string above, so experiment with that a bit. Mostly it's just practice. I suggest you focus on bending to the right pitch, and you'll find the mechanics sort of smooth themselves out. Oddly, I found that working on pre-bends improved my normal bending. I don't know why.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 PM

I think your action is off at the bridge. Take the guitar to a good Tech and get a good action adjustment.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I think your action is off at the bridge. Take the guitar to a good Tech and get a good action adjustment.
I'm with terrapin on this. I learned from Dan Erlewine's book that blues players will run higher action to both allow getting under adjacent strings and bending further without fretting out. Helped me open up my Les to some wicked bending, and only took a little more than 1/64" more action height. I've always had to tweak MIM Fenders to suit my playing too.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I'm with terrapin on this. I learned from Dan Erlewine's book that blues players will run higher action to both allow getting under adjacent strings and bending further without fretting out. Helped me open up my Les to some wicked bending, and only took a little more than 1/64" more action height. I've always had to tweak MIM Fenders to suit my playing too.
Yep, there is a fine line between action high enough to get under adjacent strings without so much height that you fingers get tangled. A good Tech can make it right, and then just learn from that so you can do it yourself. Not saying your technique doesn't need work, but a good setup is the place to start.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Actually the action set up is perfect for me, feels terrific. I just started learning bends today.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Actually the action set up is perfect for me, feels terrific. I just started learning bends today.
It might be right for chords and single note lines, but not right for bends? Maybe not? Otherwise it is just practice, practice...
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
It might be right for chords and single note lines, but not right for bends? Maybe not? Otherwise it is just practice, practice...
Okay might as well practise for a few days and then decide to lower the action.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Okay might as well practise for a few days and then decide to lower the action.
Good plan!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars