The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM

I like my Vox DA20. Plugged into AC I can select .5 watts, 1.5 watts or 20 watts. On battery power I can select .5 watts, 1.5 watts or 5 watts. With the twin 8" speakers, it gets a full range frequency response with a nice solid bottom end. On the . 5 watt setting the tone is sweet, without blasting out the neighbors:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/da20.html

I got a killer deal on mine at a Guitar Center closeout sale:

Notice the 1/4" microphone input and separate microphone volume control:

Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
I like my Vox DA20. Plugged into AC I can select .5 watts, 1.5 watts or 20 watts. On battery power I can select .5 watts, 1.5 watts or 5 watts. With the twin 8" speakers, it gets a full range frequency response with a nice solid bottom end. On the . 5 watt setting the tone is sweet, without blasting out the neighbors:
It's not a Tube amp, and the OP was looking at tube amps.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM

I have not played a tube amp, to include a 2 watter that was not loud. That's why I did not recomment a SuperChamp SD/XD (I own an SD, 15 watt), Excelsior (also own 13 watt) or Epiphone Valve Jr (also own 5 watt). The DA20 on the .5 watt setting gives great tone without disturbing others. Not tube, but an alternative to the volume issue. Ric
Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Fender Vaporizer

12 watts, all tube, not only sounds incredible but it even looks incredible, very loud, only three knows, can't get any easier at home, just add a pedal for the sound you like. This years addition to the Pawn Shop series, and comes in three colors!!
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 09-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan32 View Post
So for the attenuator fans, any particar brand/model you are fans of?
Years ago I used a Power Soak:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=T...oak+Attenuator

...but it ate up tubes straining the system to get the output tubes "singing" with harmonics. That's how it got the sound. Ric
Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Thanks again for all the tips everyone. I was able to take some time off work and go demo some of the amps listed and suggested. Ultimately, I think I am going to go with the Vox AC15. To me it just sounded the best, had a good clean, and did do well with my Blues Driver and Tube Screamer. Also got a great deal (street price is $600; getting a brand spanking new one for $500 total i.e. tax included).

I really did like the Bugera V22 but something about the Vox won me over. I hope to pick it up on Thursday.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Good to hear! I love a happy ending...

Be sure and give us the review on the Vox as a follow-up, please... I hope you truly love your new amp!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-02-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Years ago I used a Power Soak:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=T...oak+Attenuator

...but it ate up tubes straining the system to get the output tubes "singing" with harmonics. That's how it got the sound. Ric
For clarity, attenuators do not "eat up tubes" or "strain the system". They allow you to crank the volume/gain but keep the decibels low. The tubes wear out quickly because they are working harder, not because (as you will frequently hear) "attenuators eat tubes." Same result but different cause.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 AM

In case you're still looking, don't forget to check out the Cornford Harlequin, the Cornford Carrerra and the Carr Mercury. Not sure what your budget is. These are pricier but you can't go wrong with ny one of them.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
For clarity, attenuators do not "eat up tubes" or "strain the system". They allow you to crank the volume/gain but keep the decibels low. The tubes wear out quickly because they are working harder, not because (as you will frequently hear) "attenuators eat tubes." Same result but different cause.

Exactly. The whole point of an attenuator is to allow you to send decent power through your tubes to get that breakup sound but not have your ears bleed due to extreme volume levels. Attenuators go right before the speakers so after the tubes and power unit so they have zero control over what levels the tubes see.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
"The tubes wear out quickly because they are working harder"

So, attenuators do eat tubes. Thanks for the laugh. Ric
Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
"The tubes wear out quickly because they are working harder"

So, attenuators do eat tubes. Thanks for the laugh. Ric
I see your point, no problem. It's just that if, for example, I rented a big hall and cranked my amp and wailed, I'm going to wear my tubes out faster. This is caused by the fact that they're working harder. Attenuators let me do the same thing at low volume. They allow it, but they don't cause it.

I know that is splitting hairs (probably more than needed I would admit) but for folks who are unfamiliar with all this I think it's nice for them to understand. I know when i started I kept hearing that attenuators wore amps out or ate tubes and so forth, and it was quite a while before I understood what was actually going on.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM

+1 for the Paleolithic Era!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 AM

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15

or

the brand new Mesa Mark 5:25
it...... has multiple wattages, multiple channels and modes, effects loop, graphic eq, AND a built in cab filter for direct recording, with a headphone out as well...
Old 10-09-2014, 02:43 PM

I'm late to this "party", but why mess with success. The Blackface Princeton Reverb is unbeatable. The most useable 12 watts in amplifier history!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars