The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM

Sometimes I pick up some nice older J-45's to play at one of my favorite shops and I like the growl and thud for a bit; but when I think of what I want to live with, it's the GE and V type D-18's that win my heart. Martin's have much better sustain and even lower tones, more sophisticated and versatile. Probably due to the fingerstyle music I play mostly. Same leads me to my Larrivee's.

FWIW I have found the SJ 200 very disappointing. Maybe it is that one example, but if I got a Gibson, it would be a J-45/50 or L small body. There has sure has been a lot of great music written and played on those
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM

I would choose based on what I was going to do with it. To accompany voice or blues type fingerstyle, probably J-45. For solo instrumental work or as part of a band, then the D-18.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Buy both and don't discard a good Hummingbird.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I would choose based on what I was going to do with it. To accompany voice or blues type fingerstyle, probably J-45. For solo instrumental work or as part of a band, then the D-18.
That's a good approach.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer63 View Post
....I found the tone of the Gibson marginally preferable, but the playability of the Martin much more suited to me..

I've had this same experience. I loved my J-45 for looks and tone but sold it. My SWD plays much better and sounds just as nice.

Most Martins Ive played have excellent playability and I could own one but having built a D-28 clone dont really need one. But if I were to get one it'd be a D-18.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 PM

Default Reply

Depends on what J-45 your talking about. Gibson now a days....
Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 AM

I think in addition its good to add that there is a sigificant difference in tone of J-45 and J-45TV.

The TV version i found to be more open, growly and responsive, while the standard is a bit more nazely, not as open but very good sounding nevertheless.

D-18 sound great also, but in particular after a few years playing, they balance our very well and have a very smooth, fundamental tone with strong midrange, which is kinda rare for a Martin.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 AM

I sold a Martin D21 special to fund my J45TV. The Martin was a great sounding guitar but just to boomy for me. The J45TV is just perfect, well worth the extra layout. Try and play both guitars you are interested in and let your ears tell you. Good luck mate.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Tone is a huge factor but so is the neck and the feel of the guitar.

The Gibby feels a little easier to play to me. Softer on the fingers if that makes any sense.

Both are very fine examples of a classic American guitar though so it really boils down to what is the best fit for the player.

I would love to have either.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Talking depends..

That's kinda like saying which one..a shovel or a garden hose...they're almost that different. But, in saying that, if you get a really good one of each..then they are both fine. The other day at Guitar center they had a plain (non burst) J-45 hanging on the wall. I picked it up and it was great!!..best new Gibson in the store and the cheapest one they had. Same way with a D-18..alot of them are very middle of the road...but if you get a good one...you're lucky..I'd say get both!!!..right now's a good time to buy
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Agree with Rich 100%. The GE is hard to beat, especially in its price range. If you're set on a "J" style guitar I agree 100% with zumaboy. SC makes superb guitars. Here's yet another great choice for a "J" style guitar with several more top choices on their website...http://www.thepodium.com/p-17108-hus...-mahogany.aspx
If you have a decent computer sound system, check out the clip of this guitar. Makes me drool all over myself. The clips of the Fairbanks, Walkers, and Kopps are also delectable for your "J style" palate. They also had a 'burst, Collings, hog, CJ that had tone to die for but must have sold it. I can vouch for the tone of those...I own one.

Tom

Last edited by drbluegrass; 12-01-2011 at 09:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-18, hog, j-45