The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Default Anyone remember the Fender Pro 185?

I brought home a new project today. The band's rhythm guitarist was given an old "red knob" Pro 185 for a rehearsal rig until he decides on a new gigging amp.

This thing is a 2x12 combo, with at least 160w driving it. It is flippin' LOUD, with headroom for days. It might make a good platform for a pedalboard or modeling unit. It's heavy as a tank, too. Might even outweigh my old HR Deluxe.

It has a few gremlins currently. The drive channel occasionally will cut loose and sound extremely bratty and harsh, and there is an occasional percussive "thump" on low notes. I offered to bring it home and see what I can do with it. Project time!

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-05-2014, 06:14 AM

Hey Clint, although I really don't remember those amps I do remember reading about the "red knob" Fenders in my Fender Amp book a couple of months ago. That occasional 'thump' on the low notes is actually a feature

Good luck with your troubleshooting. Do you have any indications on what might be causing the issues?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:48 AM

Some internet research says these things usually suffer from bad solder joints over time. It's also about 25 years old and could probably use a few new caps, the pots cleaned out, etc. I'm surprised at how well it's held up otherwise. They really didn't want to repeat the horrible experience of their first transistor amps from the CBS era.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-05-2014, 06:58 AM

The "red knob" SS Fenders weren't exactly among their finer products - helped get them off the ground again after the CBS bailout but that's about it; as you said, if you can find what the problems are (from what I've heard, good luck - these things cost more to fix than they're worth on the market) it might make a good pedal platform - kinda like a poor man's JC-120 - and some upgraded speakers (I'd be thinking "American tone" here) might bring it into the realm of long-term usability. Good amp if you need lotsa watts for cheap, though...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The "red knob" SS Fenders weren't exactly among their finer products - helped get them off the ground again after the CBS bailout but that's about it; as you said, if you can find what the problems are (from what I've heard, good luck - these things cost more to fix than they're worth on the market) it might make a good pedal platform - kinda like a poor man's JC-120 - and some upgraded speakers (I'd be thinking "American tone" here) might bring it into the realm of long-term usability. Good amp if you need lotsa watts for cheap, though...
Steve, you absolutely nailed it. The board checks out fine, but all the jacks and pots were loose. A good tightening and cleaning did wonders. No more gremlins, even with it seriously cranked up to high volume levels. The speakers stink - I think the left one is shot (or someone filled it with socks). I put my pedal board in front of it, and it does get some nice crunchy tones especially with my LP on the bridge pup.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
...The speakers stink - I think the left one is shot (or someone filled it with socks). I put my pedal board in front of it, and it does get some nice crunchy tones especially with my LP on the bridge pup...
If you have a set of casters or a dolly - you'll need one or the other for sure - swap out the stock speakers for a pair of Eminence Swamp Thangs; they'll add an extra 10-12 pounds to the overall weight, but they'll also sweeten the tone, lend a Twin-style girth/warmth to the bottom end, and at ~102dB efficiency provide you with more volume than anyone in his/her right mind is likely to use to full capacity - unless you're playing stadiums every night. TMK Eminence recommends them as a replacement in the just-discontinued Fender Frontman 212R, and I understand a lot of the new-generation surf dudes are using these and a long-spring Accutronics 'verb tank to turn theirs into $500 Twin-killers (BTW I'll be doing likewise when I get the time/bucks); should take you deep into headbanger territory with a good stompbox, or clean up nicely through the LP's neck pickup - try that and I think you'll see why they were originally intended as jazz guitars...
Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Personally, I don't know that I'd drop $200 worth of speakers into this thing. That's a nice chunk of money towards a decent used tube amp that would probably sound better than this thing. Not my amp, not my decision though. At least it still has the original casters.

I stuck my clone Marshall BB-1 pedal in front of it, and it went straight to 80's metal crunch. Great for some Scorpions or G'n'R. Not quite ideal for the owner; his sound needs more of a 90's grunge or alt rock sound for what he's playing. I'd like to stick a ProCo Rat in front of it and see what it does.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars