The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Modifying a Floy Rose bridge?

I just bought a baritone scale electric from Rondo. I like the guitar but really I'm not sold on the Floyd Rose bridge. I realize I can block it, but is it possible to just replace it with a hardtail?

Todd
Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Sure. Years ago David Gilmour put a Kahler on the Black Strat. He later changed his mind. His tech filled the hole with a block of wood, repainted it and reinstalled the original bridge.

It might require a bit of woodcarving dexterity with a Dremel, but you should be able to fill the hole and put on a surface mount bridge.

Good Luck.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM

The Tremel-No is an easy drop-in way to block it if needed and release it if desired.

Lots of guys hate Floyds. I have yet to play something that stays in tune better and longer.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 AM

I've blocked off a floyd rose on one of my guitars. Just dropped a black of wood in the back. I never thought about an option to actually remove the FR, probably because I didn't want to spend the extra cash on that option.

I'm looking forward to more responses to see what other options there are.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Filling in the hole isn't rocket science. A decent luthier- heck, a fair cabinet maker- could simply route a square section out- say, an inch or so deep. Then you would fill the hole with a hardwood piece cut to match the dimensions of the hole. If the guitar is an opaque color, you'd repaint it and few would be the wiser. You could then select whatever bridge works best.

On Gilmour's Black Strat, you can just discern the block inlay when he turns the guitar and the light reflects off it just so.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 PM

Since Eric Clapton never uses the trem, Fender originally made an EC guitar with a hard tail. He never like the sound. They ended up using a trem and putting 5 springs on it, and screw the claw in all the way. You can do the same...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars