The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-19-2024, 10:41 AM

Default Gibson tube amps made in California

Gibson tube amps made in Petaluma California are coming out. They use 6L6 and 12AX7 tubes . That is good news because I have been afraid those tubes would disappear. My Princeton Reverb uses those tubes.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
Gibson tube amps made in Petaluma California are coming out. They use 6L6 and 12AX7 tubes . That is good news because I have been afraid those tubes would disappear. My Princeton Reverb uses those tubes.
Someone will always manufacture these, as there's a literal gazillion amps that use them.

I'm assuming the new Gibson amps are all point to point hardwired considering the price, but there isn't that much technical information about them yet.

They are certainly near the top for number of dollars per watt!
Old 01-19-2024, 01:02 PM

They are pricey as everything Gibson is.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm assuming the new Gibson amps are all point to point hardwired considering the price, but there isn't that much technical information about them yet.
I doubt that these amps are point to point handwired as were designed by Randall Smith of Mesa Boogie fame (Gibson bought Mesa a while back). Mesa has always used circuit boards, but some of the best in the business with heavy traces. And the prices of these are more in line with Mesa production amps, nothing like the uber cost of boutique amps of the same wattage ratings. They are more in line with the Mesa amps like the lower wattage versions of the Fillmore and the California Blond.

I'm actually thinking of buying the Gibson Falcon 20, as I love the sound of the tremolo and the reverb in that amp. And in the demo of both of these amps, the player at one point plays many of the guitar models that I own and it sounds great with all of them, so that would take a little bit of the guesswork out of what it would sound like with my guitars

Old 01-19-2024, 08:00 PM

Listened to several other vids as well: nice stuff - the Mesa DNA is definitely there when you inch into the dirt zone, and the Falcon 20 is $300 less than the similar California Tweed 2:20 - and if I wasn't in the market for gear to serve more immediate needs I'd be giving the 20 some serious consideration...

Then again, if Gibson was to come out with a 40-50W version of the Falcon 20 - same simple WYSIWYG controls and features, but with a heavy-duty 15" under the hood for some real throwback tone - for around $2000-2200 new I might find it a wee bit harder to resist...
Old 01-19-2024, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

They are made in Petaluma by Mesa for Gibson.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-19-2024, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I doubt that these amps are point to point handwired as were designed by Randall Smith of Mesa Boogie fame (Gibson bought Mesa a while back). Mesa has always used circuit boards, but some of the best in the business with heavy traces. And the prices of these are more in line with Mesa production amps, nothing like the uber cost of boutique amps of the same wattage ratings. They are more in line with the Mesa amps like the lower wattage versions of the Fillmore and the California Blond.

I'm actually thinking of buying the Gibson Falcon 20, as I love the sound of the tremolo and the reverb in that amp. And in the demo of both of these amps, the player at one point plays many of the guitar models that I own and it sounds great with all of them, so that would take a little bit of the guesswork out of what it would sound like with my guitars

Holy Cow! That sounds good!

- Glenn
Old 01-19-2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
They are made in Petaluma by Mesa for Gibson.
Doesn't Gibson now own Mesa? That would mean Gibson was making them, not another company.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

My point was that they are made in the same facility in Petaluma as Mesa (that they bought), by the former employees of Mesa. So you’re certainly right that the models now coming out are Gibson amps.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-21-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
They are pricey as everything Gibson is.
Not really

not if you compare the point to point wired Fenders or look at amps like Supro and Freidman for example.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-21-2024, 08:49 AM

A little reminiscent of a Mesa California Blond in a couple ways. All cool vintagey amps. I more of a Mesa Mark fan personally for the versatility.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 01-21-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I remember playing through a few of those old Gibson amplifiers, back in the 60's and early 70's. They were nothing more than "okay" to me... of course, I was raised in Orange County in the 50's and 60's, so I was decidedly in the "Fender" Camp when it came to guitar amplifiers!

But those Gibson amps were "nothing to write home about"; I don't know about re-issuing a product that was never all that... however, they DO look very cool...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-21-2024, 01:35 PM

Having a multi-power switching and multi channel Mesa (Lone Star Special) with recent years causing Gibson to leave bad tasted in my mouth I might want that extra for the California Tweed.

As for Gibson, current guitars seem better and we're (at least I'm) not hearing from that obnoxious guy who was in charge for a while, and they don't seem to be taking to me poor tangents from being a musical instrument company.

Consider me in the camp of thinking that while expensive, the Mesa products are for sure competitive against some that is out there. I've joked wondering if they include file marks and paint runs but reality is they seem like competitive products. I did not look at the reverb tech specs but plenty of high end amps with same or similar prices don't have it.

On brand, Gibson did a really good job of tarnishing theirs for a while so I don't know if this is a good move or not. I would have banked on the Mesa brand and made sure they're also sold by smaller independent music stores too.

Edit: The low watt version has any or all I want if I decide to move on from my beast Lone Star 2x12 and/or our son moves on with my Princeton Reverb. Maybe I'll have to get over the poor sentiments that Henry guy left with me.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

The review on Premier Guitar said they are 6V6 amps that can also use 6L6 tubes. Lower wattage with 6V6 and frankly I prefer the 6V6 sound to 6L6s.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

https://youtube.com/watch?v=J5abP4o0...QnAKduPzgbIjdx

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars