The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-24-2024, 09:10 AM

Default What's The Best Way To Fix This Crack

This is a friend's guitar I'm setting up, there's a huge crack in it she said happened quite a few years ago. It's never been repaired, I figured maybe I should do something about it. I've never cleated anything before, want specific advice on how and what tools I need or specific videos you'd recommend, or should I just bring it in somewhere?
Old 03-24-2024, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
This is a friend's guitar I'm setting up, there's a huge crack in it she said happened quite a few years ago. It's never been repaired, I figured maybe I should do something about it. I've never cleated anything before, want specific advice on how and what tools I need or specific videos you'd recommend, or should I just bring it in somewhere?
I’m a total novice but I’m going to guess one of the pros will tell you to hydrate the guitar until it close then cleat/glue and if it won’t close then you’ll need a spline.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:29 PM

Because it happened some time ago the crack is now full of dirt, possibly cleaners, oils and other things that will prevent glue from holding it together. That crack needs to be thoroughly cleaned out before anything else, including hydration.

I'd take it to someone with experience unless it's a cheap guitar and it's not important that it's repaired properly..
Old 03-25-2024, 12:41 AM

you need to carry out a splint repair to hide that one now
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-25-2024, 08:26 AM

Frank Ford used this for cleaning cracks prior to glue up. http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...deionized.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair