The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-23-2024, 02:44 PM

Default Tablets that work with Spark amps

After a long process of searching and pondering a new amp that would suit my desires, I recently purchased a Spark 40 amp. I expected I’d get a really low watt tube amp, or one of those Blackstar Debut 50r amps. But, the interactive features of the Spark won out for me, since I don’t play outside my home with other folks.
The clean options are not bad at all for what it is. And, it’s nice to explore the different amp models and effects for a change of tonal pace. However, I currently use my phone as the interface and at my age, it’s a royal pain to deal with such a small screen. Does anyone have any experience with Spark and inexpensive tablets that play nicely together? I don’t need or want a tablet for any other use, so I don’t want to spend much on one……
Old 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM

I got an iPad gen 9 often had for bargains (likely discontinued soon??) and also a bargain on their keyboard cover. No regrets so far.

I use it for other music stuff such as set it on music stand if playing with my tube amps. I output it to my acoustic/PA or a speaker for play along with the tube amps. The Spark app works with that too.

For sure there are lots of options but at work my department manages dozens of tablets including Android and that got me appreciating the many mounts, and long life cycle of the iPads so I did that.

Some more that helped influence the decision is really liking this app.

https://tonaly.app
Old 03-23-2024, 05:25 PM

I use an ancient iPad.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I use an ancient iPad.
Me too. I bought it from a guy for $75, and so far it works great. I only use it for music stuff, so I don’t even know if it functions as a computer. It does get emails and texts, so maybe it does. If it fails, I’d look for another one somewhere.

Last edited by ghostnote; 03-26-2024 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:20 AM

I have an old (circa 2016) Samsung tablet that works fine with it. Well, it did when I tried out the amp after buying it about 15 months ago, and haven't used it since.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 03-24-2024, 03:42 PM

Thanks guys. I found a bit of information on a faq page with positive grid. It sounds like the folks at PG focus on iOS compatibility as far as on going development goes. So I will start looking out for an older generation iPad.
Thanks guys!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars