The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2023, 10:12 PM

Default Plunked and bought

Well...I thank all who instructed me during this process. About a week or so ago, I plunked down the cash and bought a Yamaha FG-820. With all the variables at play, I never thought I would be totally happy with my selection but, alas, I am.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
Well...I thank all who instructed me during this process. About a week or so ago, I plunked down the cash and bought a Yamaha FG-820. With all the variables at play, I never thought I would be totally happy with my selection but, alas, I am.
Did you find the tone/sound of the Yamaha superior to the Taylor? I like Taylors a lot but some of the 150 12-strings I've played in GC just sounded thin and had no real body or bottom end to the sound. To me, that is where a good 12-string really comes alive. I don't want to just hear a bunch of strings jangling but I want to hear the lush sound of the wood.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:41 PM

Default 150e vs FG 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Did you find the tone/sound of the Yamaha superior to the Taylor? I like Taylors a lot but some of the 150 12-strings I've played in GC just sounded thin and had no real body or bottom end to the sound. To me, that is where a good 12-string really comes alive. I don't want to just hear a bunch of strings jangling but I want to hear the lush sound of the wood.
=====================================Yes indeed....the difference between the 150 I played and the 820 I bought w/o playing one first is immense. The 150 was very jangly, but the sound (to my lousy ears) had no deeper tones that I could detect. I was worried about the fact that, as users here warn...one guitar of a specific model may have a totally different tone that another. They only had one 150 in the store. I was going to consider 2 or 3 other 12's, but the store manager came and got my sales guy and told him to help someone else who, apparently, was ready to buy. I don't blame him for that, but I had some research to do b4 I plunked down my cash.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:43 PM

Default Taylor/Yammie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
====================================
Action was another variable. The Taylor had great action. The yammie I bought didn't UNTIL I found a great setup guy. When he got done setting up the yammie, the action was almost as good as the Taylor, but not quite. It's plenty good for me, though....and the volume of the yammie just slays the Taylor. So do the rich tones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, 150e, taylor