The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Default What's a "canon" to you?

Over the years we've all seen the word "canon" used to describe a particular sound or tonal quality. I've heard some guitars played that others have described as "canons" but that isn't what I would describe canon to mean. To me, canon does not mean loud...it's a tonal quality that you can feel as well as hear. My friend just bought a new Martin D18v...He described it as a "canon." I have the HD28v and if this D18v is a canon, then mine is a nuclear weapon! Now don't get me wrong, that D18v is sweet and a better lead instrument in many ways than my HD28v. I'd like to have the sustain and highs found on his guitar.

I've not played many guitars that I would describe as canons. I've played a bunch of Taylor 810s (and have owned them as well) ltds and others and I've never heard that "canon like" quality in Taylors. Loud yes, bell like quality, yes, sustain, yes, canon....no.

I've played another friends Collings dred and it is absolutley a "canon."

Don't get me wrong, many people don't prefer that tone for their style and wouldn't want a guitar that has that quality. I would never describe my Goodall as a canon nor would I want it to be.

Just curious as to other opinions...
Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 PM

I always considered a cannon to be a loud acoustic. Booming loud (lot of bass).
Old 05-03-2005, 02:54 PM

I would say a canon is a fundamental code of rules.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default My Olson D...

Hi...
My Olson D Rosewood/Cedar is probably what you'd call a cannon (only we call it a Bazooka).

Loud without trying to be, balanced, wonderfully full and dark chocolate sound when strummed, rich deep overtones and spectacularly big harmonics when fingerstyled.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I fall back on Eric Schoenberg's description;
http://www.om28.com/notes3.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 05-03-2005, 03:48 PM

That's a great description. To me "cannon" is just another way of saying "boomy," not necessarily the quality I look for in guitars (or, say, car stereos).

Sincerely,
Nilus
Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Over the years we've all seen the word "canon" used to describe a particular sound or tonal quality. I've heard some guitars played that others have described as "canons" but that isn't what I would describe canon to mean. To me, canon does not mean loud...it's a tonal quality that you can feel as well as hear. My friend just bought a new Martin D18v...He described it as a "canon." I have the HD28v and if this D18v is a canon, then mine is a nuclear weapon! Now don't get me wrong, that D18v is sweet and a better lead instrument in many ways than my HD28v. I'd like to have the sustain and highs found on his guitar.

I've not played many guitars that I would describe as canons. I've played a bunch of Taylor 810s (and have owned them as well) ltds and others and I've never heard that "canon like" quality in Taylors. Loud yes, bell like quality, yes, sustain, yes, canon....no.

I've played another friends Collings dred and it is absolutley a "canon."

Don't get me wrong, many people don't prefer that tone for their style and wouldn't want a guitar that has that quality. I would never describe my Goodall as a canon nor would I want it to be.

Just curious as to other opinions...
Some synonyms are:
act, adjuration, ban, behest, bidding, call, canon, caveat, charge, citation, commandment, decree, devoir, dictate, dictation, dictum, direction, duty, edict, enactment, fiat, imperative, imposition, injunction, instruction, law, mandate, notification, obligation, order, ordinance, precept, prescript, proclamation, prohibition, proscription, regulation, request, requirement, requisition, responsibility, rule, subpoena, summons,

So it summ it all up by saying simply a canon is My D 18GE Sunburnt awesome
get er done , inspired geeeeeeeetar. In other words it ''rule' zzzzzzzzz.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 05-03-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilus
That's a great description. To me "cannon" is just another way of saying "boomy," not necessarily the quality I look for in guitars (or, say, car stereos).

Sincerely,
Nilus
I don't compare "boomy" to canon. I've heard both...to me, a real canon sound isn't boomy. I don't like the "boomy" sound. For a dred, I do like a canon sound however for a bluegrass dred guitar....
Old 05-03-2005, 04:11 PM

To me "canon" is just another over used superlative used to describe guitars that doesn't have an actual defintion.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats."

HL Mencken
Old 05-03-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Hi...
My Olson D Rosewood/Cedar is probably what you'd call a cannon

Your Olson shoots cannon balls? Maybe they are worth the $$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Loud without trying to be, balanced, wonderfully full and dark chocolate sound when strummed, rich deep overtones and spectacularly big harmonics when fingerstyled.
It sounds like dark chocolate when strummed? I've never strummed dark chocolate, but I have played a couple licks on a Mr. Goodbar. Which Olson should I look at for the Mr Goodbar sound?

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats."

HL Mencken
Old 05-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

88mm and above. 20mm is wimpy aircraft stuff.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-03-2005, 05:30 PM

I'm not exactly sure of the meaning of "canon" but if you can track down Pachelbel, I think he'd have some insight.

Rockbridge Slope D
Martin America 1
Woolson Soundcraft Sig
Old 05-03-2005, 05:31 PM

If you run across a guitar that is "turn your head loud", plays slick, sounds great, and is impressive to your very soul, THAT'S a canon.

Great guitars aren't always canons.

Canons ARE ALWAYS great guitars.

My $.02

Old 05-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

When someone talks about a guitar being a "cannon" I am thinking the word "loud". We are talking about a guitar with a lot of headroom that can be heard right along with the banjos. I am usually thinking of the term being used with dreads or jumbos. I am thinking about flatpicking or strumming. Whether there is a great tone is another matter.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Ok. Question for all you munitions guys. What is it that actually defines a REAL cannon..as opposed to a rifle, gun, etc.?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 05-03-2005 at 09:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion