The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Pickup sugestions for Taylor jumbo 12 String?

Thanks in advance for your advice, I am trying to find a replacement pickup for my Taylor 12 string, a 455ceL7. I bought it new in 2004. The original Expression System has bit the dust. I was very pleased with the amplified tone. The original system is no longer available. I called and spoke with Josh at Taylor. He said that they offer a 1.3 version which requires no alterations to install. Has anyone had this done, and if so are you happy with the result? I am open to other suggestions, and for the record have also been pleased with LR Baggs products. The nearest Taylor trained installation shop for the current ES 2 is in Baltimore, probably a six hour haul, 12 round trip, or I could send it to Taylor. I am not thrilled about paying for shipping, and in either case I would have to be without the guitar for a while. I suffer from guitar separation anxiety disorder so it's not likely I will do either of these options. What say ye?

Last edited by ncognito1; 12-13-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 AM

I tried two Taylor 12 strings with ES2, comparing plugged and unplugged at a local store yesterday. I was very impressed with the ES2. The very best, Barry Lipman of Connecticut Strings will be installing The ES2 upgrade for me soon.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncognito1 View Post
...I am trying to find a replacement pickup for my Taylor 12 string... The original Expression System has bit the dust. I was very pleased with the amplified tone ...they offer a 1.3 version which requires no alterations to install. Has anyone had this done...
Both of the Taylors I own have (had) ES 1.3 systems. The heart of this system is a circuit board that is held in place on the upper bout by the 3 "button" potentiometers. The pickups and battery are plugged in to the circuit board. If you are happy with the ES sound, it is a relatively trivial matter to swap out the (defunct) ES circuit board for a working one.

I removed the circuit board on both of my Taylors, tied up the pickup wires, and replaced the system with a rechargeable (as in, no more battery) MiSi Align XT. This pickup relies on an Under Saddle Transducer (an LR Baggs Element) to reproduce the sound. The process is completely reversible, should I ever want to go back to the ES system.

A 60 second charge is advertised to provide up to 16 hours of play time, although I have never gone that long before recharging. I happen to have trained one of my Taylors on an Audio Sprockets tonedexter. Unfortunately, I do not have a recording of this guitar with the Taylor ES system, but here is a comparison of the Taylor recorded with a mic, then recorded with the MiSi pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification