The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 AM

Should work though you may have to fix shipping yourself. If you physically take it with you then you arrange for VAT refund when and where you leave the EU.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 AM

there is VAT in the Czech Republic, but its included in the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsfolly View Post
I am going to Germany to visit my nephew for Octoberfest and had already planned see Vienna and Prague. Sounds like my souvenir has been decided. Does Czech Republic have VAT? The company should be able to ship competently I assume to escape Vat.?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 AM

Well actually Im an Aussie, but been living in Prague for past 8 yearsh, happily.

My suggestion would be to visit Brno and the main Furch showroom, but then spend a few days in Prague as Brno is nice but its a smallish provincial city, while Prague is simply the most beautiful city in Europe in my humble opinion. There is also a Furch dealer 5 mins from my house in Prague, drop me a line when youre in Prague and we could roadtest a few together.

cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanEA View Post

@Gibbyprague – I’ll make sure to visit the showroom – and not leave until I’ve tried every single guitar By the way, now that I’m speaking to a native Czech, I was wondering if there’s anything else you can recommend that I see, now that I’m in Brno? And do you have any general tips/advices to a tourist visiting Czech for the first time? I’m also very glad that Furch and Czech generally can provide me with such well built instruments for a reasonable price – one of the main reasons beside the quality and sound that I’ve chosen to buy a Furch guitar is to support the “European economy”, how silly that may sound, I think it is important to not just throw your money after a guitar produced in Asia, but to support Europe(especially now in times of Recession) I see no reason why I shouldn’t use that extra bit of money and travel down and see under exactly what conditions my instrument is made under.
What we do on weekends:
Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 AM

Great guitars with really lovely voices right across the range from what I can see. I have played about 5 of them in my time and found them all to have balance, projection, but above all something hard to define - just a bit of magic dust that gives them a real emotion-evoking voice. It seems ot be there in all their instruments. My main guitar is a Furch built Stanford D1. It has laminated back and sides but has a wonderfully complex tone. It has done the festivals, got wet, got dry, been hot and cold and dropped a few times. It is structurally very sound depite being a lively, lightly braced guitar.

My dream guitar would be a Furch spruce / mahogany dread with a 45mm nut. You can get them - I just can't afford one right now!

Buy with confidence my friend, these are guitars for very discerning players
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 AM

The Tallest man on Earth uses 2 or 3 Furch models in his live line-up, nice sound he gets from them too!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 AM

Default furch guitar

This is the entry level of Furch guitar:
http://youtu.be/KDAwvMXVFmE
But it's able to give a professional sound. I really like it. Excellent price/value rate!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Default Traveling with guitar

Hi Johan, I just sent you a message with the price indications I got. I also asked for a full price list but never received it.

Regarding traveling with your guitar, my guess is that they will allow it into the cabin. I got the advice to tune down a bit and I also use Humidipaks during the flight. Just in case the security will not allow Humidipaks I also bring Planet Waves PW GH, which can be dry when you pass security

Good luck and I'm soooo looking forward for pictures
Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM

I'm right up there with Gibby on furch. He got me convinced to go for the om32sm I now own. I couldn't be any more happier with it. It's got air, a worn in feeling of tone for being such a new guitar. The vintage models are built very light and responsive. Has more character than both Martin and Taylor in my views. I wouldn't take a Taylor over my 32sm. The fit and finish on mine is top notch, no flaws,... I even probed inside with lights and mirrors. Flawless. I'm wanting to even add another furch alongside my OM, and it's the 12 fret slope shoulder model. I can't believe the playability and tone I'm getting from my furch, and paid $1500 US for it here in Norway, the price is next to doubled if buying in the states, so if one can travel to Czech to buy one, I recommend it, they're cheaper here in Europe. Don't worry about taxes bringing it on the plane... Say it's yours and it's used, which it will be once you buy it and begin playing the heck out of it.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM

I dont have a Furch, but I did test a few when I was in Seoul... They are outstanding, simply the best in their price range... Are they better than Taylors??? IMO Yes, even better than the higher end ones... My favorite Furch is cedar topped GC w/ indian rosewood b/s...
Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 AM

Nowadays the airline cant refuse to let you being the guitar inside as long as it fits in the overhead, and if it's a standard Boeing or airbus, no problem. Don't check it in.

If you want to save VAT it normally needs to be shipped to a company with a VAT number. I have bought from Holland using GLS/DHL shipping to Sweden which worked fine in both cases. The shop might have discount shipping, go there, pick out your guitar, and have them ship it with insurance and all.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM

Hi all,
I have a Furch for sale on this forum. It's a wonderful guitar indeed! If you're interested, please search for Furch D24SR and it will come up. I'll be happy to answer any questions, too.

In terms of the showrooms in the Czech Republic: If you're in Prague, be sure to visit Huml Music; they have the entire line there, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I played each one and picked the best.

Have fun with these; they're a real joy.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 AM

Regarding the sales tax/VAT issue. If an item is bought in the EU and is going to be exported out of the EU then the buyer has to get a VAT receipt/invoice from the seller (there is usually a sign on the shop window saying something like "VAT Free for tourists"). When leaving the country, the buyer then presents the VAT receipt to customs who then refund the VAT.

So in other words, you can't buy it without the VAT directly but you get it back when you leave the EU.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 AM

This shop is a 5 minute walk from my apartment, and yes they do have a large selection, but not the entire line.

If you would like to try em' all you would need to trave to the Brno master showroom which does have the entire line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamajark View Post
Hi all,
I have a Furch for sale on this forum. It's a wonderful guitar indeed! If you're interested, please search for Furch D24SR and it will come up. I'll be happy to answer any questions, too.

In terms of the showrooms in the Czech Republic: If you're in Prague, be sure to visit Huml Music; they have the entire line there, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I played each one and picked the best.

Have fun with these; they're a real joy.
What we do on weekends:
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Nowadays the airline cant refuse to let you being the guitar inside as long as it fits in the overhead, and if it's a standard Boeing or airbus, no problem. Don't check it in.
This applies to the USA only. And, if the flight is critical on space in overhead bins, it's airline's discretion if it stays or goes underneath.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 AM

Hello guys.

Thanks for the many answers in this topic.

I apologize for not writing a response - I have been busy at the job, and my internet connection has been down for a couple of days.

I've changed my plans, as I'm very eager to try the guitars - I've decided that I'll be traveling to Czech in the end of June/ Beginning of July instead of August, as I'd love to be able to play outside, before it gets all rainy and cold in Denmark.

@Lennylux - Thanks for telling me about The Tallest Man on Earth. His music was a pleasant surprise - but from the recordings of him that I found on Youtube he was playing on Guild guitars - I'll be making a playlist with a couple of his songs in the near future

@Gibbyprague - I saw in your signature, that you've got a custom Furch. Mind sharing a couple of pictures ? What's custom about it - aged top or slotted headstock?

Also if any of you Furch-entutaists got some good pictures to spice this topic up a bit, please share - I'd love to see your guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brno, czech, furch