The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2015, 03:26 PM

Default Taylor 12 string, Grover 406 mini locking tuners

I have Taylor 150e coming, a 12 string acoustic electric.

I am considering replacing the tuning machines with Grover 406C chrome or gold mini locking tuners.

Has anyone put a set of Grover 406 mini locking tuners on a Taylor or other 12 string?

Your comments on your experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

I know changing strings on a 12 string is a hassle. I'm thinking that a set of Grover 406 mini locking tuners would be a direct drop in, with the exception of having to drill a hole for the set screw on the back of the headstock, which I don't mind doing.

It seems like a set of these mini locking tuners would make re-stringing a simple and quick job, comparatively speaking.

I have some Grover 406C mini locking tuners on my PRS SE Singlecut Tremolo guitar and they work great. 18:1 gear ration and nice and smooth when turning the keys.

It would probably cost around a hundred dollars (US) to do it and a little bit of time, but I think the results would rewarding.

Any experience or thoughts on this idea? Have you tried any type of locking tuners on your 12 string? I suppose this is a common idea to make stringing up easier.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:04 PM

I changed the strings on my Guild F-412 just 3 days ago, It has the original Grover 205G mini-Rotomatic tuners and they are working fine.
I have 3 other 12-string guitars and for me the single biggest string changing improvement has been using a cordless string winder.
It just makes the whole job easier, neater and quicker.
I actually enjoy changing strings now.
Locking tuners sound like a little 'overkill' for me but if you like them that's fine.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-06-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
...for me the single biggest string changing improvement has been using a cordless string winder.
A-frickin'-men to THIS, brother! I had one of these in hand even before my 12-string Yammy arrived in the mail. No WAY was I "manually" changing 12 strings!

You definitely need to pay attention to keep the winding bit (I happen to have a Spin Doctor) parallel with your headstock. I had a momentary diversion of attention and put a slight nick in my finish very first string change............
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Don't bother. It won't make that much difference. The Taylor mini tuners are 18:1. And they hold pretty well. Try using the "tie" method for attaching the strings to the peg. I have an 856ce and would not consider changing the tuners, unless something very compelling came along. You won't change your 12 strings that often. Especially, if you use Elixir or other coated strings. I would save the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM

I replaced the stock tuners with Gold Gotoh 510 mini tuners with black buttons for purely aesthetic reasons. The included chrome tuners seemed to work quite well, but I just LOVE the Gotoh tuners. They are smoooooth and beautiful
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Don't bother. It won't make that much difference. The Taylor mini tuners are 18:1. And they hold pretty well. Try using the "tie" method for attaching the strings to the peg. I have an 856ce and would not consider changing the tuners, unless something very compelling came along. You won't change your 12 strings that often. Especially, if you use Elixir or other coated strings. I would save the money.

Okay. I agree with that. If they are good 18:1 tuners already I'll just leave them on there and save the money.

Thanks for that info. That saves a lot of money.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Okay. I agree with that. If they are good 18:1 tuners already I'll just leave them on there and save the money.

Thanks for that info. That saves a lot of money.
Glad I could help. I did change tuners on my 816ce, but mainly for the smoothness of 21:1 Gotoh 510s. Switching for the same ratio probably won't add any efficacy to tuning. Have fun with that new chimey box.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Glad I could help. I did change tuners on my 816ce, but mainly for the smoothness of 21:1 Gotoh 510s. Switching for the same ratio probably won't add any efficacy to tuning. Have fun with that new chimey box.

21:1 high quality tuners sound real nice. If they are nice and smooth I can see where they would be great to have. Those are sealed and lubricated I suppose?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I changed the strings on my Guild F-412 just 3 days ago, It has the original Grover 205G mini-Rotomatic tuners and they are working fine.
I have 3 other 12-string guitars and for me the single biggest string changing improvement has been using a cordless string winder.
I actually enjoy changing strings now.
Locking tuners sound like a little 'overkill' for me but if you like them that's fine.
I love my power winder too. Quick and easy. Highly recommended!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
21:1 high quality tuners sound real nice. If they are nice and smooth I can see where they would be great to have. Those are sealed and lubricated I suppose?

Yes the regular sized 510 are sealed and designed to have no slop on the peg.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion