The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Default I just ordered a Wechter OOO Mahogany

Hi all

I just ordered a Wechter Model: TO-8418 Triple 0 Select Mahogany 18 from Sweetwater. It should be here Mon or Tue (tomorrow would be asking too much even though it's 2 day shipping!). I normally would never order a guitar online because I find so much variation in each as I play different versions of the same model (for acoustics). But I couldn't find anywhere that I could try out Wechter guitars at all, let alone a OOO, and the reviews and specs are pretty amazing, so I'm taking a shot.

I've played a classical for years, and she's a beautiful guitar, but I've wanted an steel string for a while that would allow me to get better definition in the upper range and more clarity in the bottom end but still be as, or nearly as, touch responsive as my classical. Dolores (my classical) can be a bit boomy, particularly when recording. I've enjoyed playing Martin dreads and a few of the OOO and OM guitars but they're too expensive typically. I like the tone of the Taylor 314 and DN3 and (surprisingly) the 210, but I still have to work at it to get the fullness I want (with my style) from a Taylor. A 12 fret OOO portends to be a good guitar for me.

When I stumbled on the Wechters, I think from a post here perhaps, I was pretty stunned. Yes, the Recording King and Silver Creek both are less expensive, but I've wanted a 12 fret slot head for a long time and the TO-8418 is the first one I've found anywhere that's reasonably priced. I actually had to do a little spreadsheet so I could compare the specs and try and A/B compare. I've included a link below if you're interested. I don't know how much I learned from that exercise, but it let me get it all clear in my head. I probably should have done one of the Recording Kings at the same time, but I really liked the 1 7/8" nut width and 12 fret body on the Wechter, so the spreadsheet eval was more about convincing myself to pay the extra bucks. I assumed the Wechter will not need a setup, but added that cost and the cost of a case to the Silver Creek for comparison. Note the extra (estimated) body volume for the slot head, as you would expect.

The Wechter is still more expensive, but as a good friend once told me, "Katherine, that extra few hundred dollars will be long forgotten shortly, but you'll still have that guitar for years and years. Get what you want." I am just hoping that the Wechter doesn't have that "Gibson boxy" sound but is more of a "Martin" full sound with warm overtones. I can't imagine it being thin (fewer overtones) like a Taylor with that light big body. I've always preferred the classic D18 combination of Spruce over Mahogany, and that's better for the clarity I like, so waiting for the Rosewood version to be available isn't an issue for me.

Wechter vs Spring Creek

If anyone is interested, I'll post some pics and a review and perhaps a video playing one of my pieces once I get her in. I live in the N Dallas suburbs (Richardson, TX) and would be happy to let anyone in the area play her, perhaps meeting at one of the open mics in the area.

Peace,

Katherine Elizavæt
http://www.youtube.com/user/Elisavaet
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." The Duchess: Alice in Wonderland
Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM
*mahoganut*

Katherine, first off - welcome to AGF (as a poster! you may have been a reader for years!)!

That 000 looks very nice online - I'll certainly be interested to see some pics and hear some clips once you get it up and going.

Thanks for posting!

Phil
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

i'm interested - it looks pretty nice. the only wechters i've gotten to see are their laminate models.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

welcome to this awesome forum!

please post us some photos and definitely a soundclip when you get it.

i've had opportunity to play a few wechters and every one i've played i've come away impressed-even the bottom end dollar models.

hope it plays and suits you well

daryl
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 PM

Very impressive first post.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Congrats! Can't wait to see it!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM

Welcome!

That does look like a beautiful guitar! The specs (and price) are almost exactly what I've been looking for also. Its just the 1 7/8" nut that scares me. If it wasn't for that I just might have endured the wrath of my wife.

Let us k ow how you like it and congratulations.

2000 Seagull S6+CW cedar
Fender CD-140SCE
More to come....
Old 02-17-2011, 06:15 PM

That model caught my eye as a former Larrivee OOO-50 owner. Their specs are very similar. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Welcome!

2012 Martin 000-28 MMV
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 PM

I had my eye on that same model at Sweetwater for about 2 weeks now but I just bought a D28 2 months ago so I didn't go for it. I owned a Wechter 3 years ago it was well made but was not all solid wood. There new all solid wood models look impressive and I have talked to them about the dreads which won't be in until June. Please post a review on the new triple o as I'm sure there are a few here here who would be interested in what your opinions are. Hope you enjoy your new acoustic.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 PM

I bought a Wechter 000, same one about a month ago. I just love it, just as much if not more than my expensive Taylor. I too like fingerstyle and have a light classical background (Recuerdos de la Alhambra sounds good on it too). The first words that come to mind are wonderfully resonant, warm and full tone with just enough complexity. The intonation was not the best on a couple of strings, but I will at some point, since it is not a pressing issue, cut a new saddle. I cannot decide which is better my Recording King 616 all hog 12 fret with slothead or this! Awesome guitar for sure and most certainly a keeper. Enjoy! Oh and BTW, the guys at Sweetwater are great and take good care of their customers.

Will

Last edited by willsing; 02-17-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Default Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and kind comments guys It is certainly nice to stumble on a forum of people who enjoy acoustic guitars as much as I do!

My OOO is in Ft Wayne and Fedex says it will be delivered on Monday! I ordered two sets of strings along with an extra high E for each set. I've used Thomastik-Infeld strings on my acoustics and jazz electrics for a long time and really love them (I use Savarez on my classical).
  • Thomastik-Infeld SB112 Spectrum Bronze Medium Light, .012 - .054
  • Thomastik-Infeld SB111 Spectrum Bronze Light, .011 - .052
Tension comparison

The SB112 (med light) tension specs (168.9lbs) are a close match for the stock D'Addario EXP16s (163.2lbs) and the SB111 (light) strings (151.3) are primarily for experimentation IF I have trouble with the .012 set. I doubt that I will, but with a new guitar like this, a lightly built one at that, the light strings may surprise me so I'll try them. My attack is usually too heavy for .011 acoustic sets, but I've been playing nylons for so long these may work for me. They should also be less prone to overdriving the top, which I do on small body guitars pretty easily.

The astute reader may have already figured out that I'm an engineer, so I tend to analyse things, perhaps too much at times, but that's how I think! I'll post some photos when I get the OOO in and then a sound clip or video after I've had a chance to get used to the feel. I've found that it can take me two or three days sometimes to adjust to a new acoustic so I can really begin to draw the full range out of it. I'll try to include enough information that you can get a better idea for the guitar and whether it would work for you. Again, if there is anyone in the Dallas area that wants to check it out, I play the occasional open mic around here and would be happy to let you play her.

Quote:
Spectrum Bronze Acoustic Series

characteristics: clear, balanced tone, ideal for recording sessions

"At last, the ultimate acoustic guitar string for recording, SPECTRUM BRONZE Series. You'll hear and feel the difference in the toughest situations from studio to stage. The treble strings are plain silver steel, the wound strings have a highly polished bronze covering. Deep basses, superb midrange and ultra clear highs, give extra power for those "intense" moments. SPECTRUM BRONZE Series deliver all this, … and more!!

The ultimate bronze round wound acoustic string! The Spectrum Bronze Series is specially designed for the demands of professional recording, yet is also unsurpassed in live performance situations. A unique bronze formula, combined with Thomastik-Infeld's mastery of mechanical filtering with their silk inlay technology, gives a full warm tone, with a sparkling clarity that lets you cut through a dense-sound mix. Playing feel is very balanced, and they are surprisingly long lasting.

Peace,

Katherine Elizavæt

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." The Duchess: Alice in Wonderland

Last edited by Elisavaet; 02-18-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: subscribe to thread
Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your post and congratulations on your new guitar, Katherine! And welcome to the forum.

Regards, Glenn
Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I agree- congrats- its a sweet looking guitar-
Willsing, please if you will tell us the differences between this and the RK. I am looking them both over and am unfamiliar. You can pm if you prefer but I think its helpful general knowledge. Thanks-
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Default Compare the Wechter OOO to which Recording King?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
I agree- congrats- its a sweet looking guitar-
Willsing, please if you will tell us the differences between this (Wechter OOO Mahogan) and the RK. I am looking them both over and am unfamiliar. You can pm if you prefer but I think its helpful general knowledge. Thanks-
Kirkham

I know you asked Willsing... but it made me curious so I did a quick comparison (spreadsheet here) of the Wechter TO-8418 to the Recording King RO-10, which looks like the first model to have all solid woods. Even with some funny numbers in favor of the TO-8418, the RK-10 still comes out at $475 delivered with a setup vs $650 for the TO-8418. I didn't run the RO-06 because it's laminated.

There is simply no question in my mind that the RK-10 (or RK-16 which I think replaced the 10) is a better value than the Wechter. I wish I could play them both side by side then pick!

If the 12 fret design and wider nut doesn't appeal to you, I think the RK-10/6 or Silver Creek T-160 are much better buys and I've heard nothing but raves on their tone and quality as well.

For me, I want the 12 fret slot head with the 1 7/8" nut because it's the closest steel string cousin to my beloved cedar top classical. I've never found one locally, so I only have reviews and experience with other guitars to go on, but the 12 fret should have a more full tone due to the larger soundboard and hence larger active volume. The 12 frets are typically geared more towards fingerstyle as well, so I would expect for the soundbox to be constructed and braced a bit lighter.

Since I play a 2" flat fingerboard with nylon strings, the 1 7/8" nut on the Wechter will transition easier for me. An interesting thing to note here is that, although most people think of classical guitars as easier to fret, they are in many ways more difficult to play due to the big flat fingerboard and the squishy nylon strings that want to roll off under your fingers. With the slightly narrower fretboard offset by the tremendously narrower steel strings, I actually expect to not lose any finger room. I might even gain some (Yeah, I COULD do the math on that.... but I'm not gonna! ). The 12" radius on the Wechter vs the flat fingerboard on the classical makes it even easier to work with.

I'm an oddball in that I am a person with small hands, but I prefer wider fretboards. I'm not even sure if I could describe why. You'll never see me using my thumb over the top to fret strings for example! I guess I've developed a technique that works for me and I'm sticking to it!

Peace,

Katherine Elizavæt

Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I was commenting on the 606 or 616 all mahogany rk, similar to the Wechter but with a 1 1/2 nut. After reading the reviews of the rk, I think it is now between the Wechter and the new RK model, Shoenberg 0, which is of course more expensive. I like the all mahogany look, may have to save up for both. Also saving for a Yairi classical-
Nik
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion