The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Default taylor t5 wiring diagram

any one know where I can find a wiring diagram for a 2005 Koa T5 ? thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 PM

I'm thinking if you contacted Taylor they would either send you one or email it. Oh and Hey -- Welcome to the AGF!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM

thanks for the welcome, I recently bought a used but like new T5 Koa. I noticed it has 2 plug ins , I looked inside the back and one goes to the bridge. It is a LR Baggs. The volume knob for it is in the upper sound hole. It does not control on the tone or factory volume knob that is factory. ever see this before?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Can't really say that I have... maybe an aftermarket item?
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Cocobologist

That's an add-on. Sounds like a Baggs Element UST with the volume control.

A couple things to consider/do:

1. Get a PADI or other preamp/DI for the Element. The standard T5 pickup system is balanced (lo-Z), so with the PADI you can run two balanced channels to the board.

2. Use a TRS-XLR balanced cable out from the original pickups, then get a Low-Z/Hi-Z transformer (XLR/TS). Get an A/B/Y box and plug both the Baggs pick up and the Balanced output into it, taking the single output of the box to the board or amp. You can now blend the two signals using the volume controls on the guitar.

3. Run the Baggs output to an acoustic amp, and the T5 pickup output to an electric amp.

You bought into a very versatile setup. Experiment and enjoy!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 12-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Cool, I play through our churches Avion system, can't wait to hear which sounds best in the morning. anyone have advice on what strings yall like on this guitar?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1 View Post
Cool, I play through our churches Avion system, can't wait to hear which sounds best in the morning. anyone have advice on what strings yall like on this guitar?
I wanted to get as close to a Jazz Box "tone" from my T5, so I put heavy gauge electric strings on it, and it works quite well.

On a previous comment, I use an A/B/Y box, and run one output to my electric amp, and the other to my acoustic... Great sound that way.

T5's are unique and versitile. Just remember that they are a true hybred - neither pure acoustic nor electric.

Enjoy!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Sounds like you got a T6!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:48 PM

T5 sounded great today! I played it through the factory plug. I noticed that the volume is not as loud through the add on plug.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM

anyway to post photos of the set uP I have? or I can email someone the photos to see if this is what I have. [email protected]
try this link to see photos http://strat1.myphotoalbum.com

Last edited by strat1; 12-19-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1 View Post
anyway to post photos of the set uP I have? or I can email someone the photos to see if this is what I have. [email protected]
try this link to see photos http://strat1.myphotoalbum.com
Yes - you can use a (free) service like this: www.photobucket.com Upload your photos, save them in Photoshop, get the code, and post them here. Contact me if you need more info
Old 12-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Let's cut to the chase. Contact this guy: dcopper here on the forum. He's the one to chat with for all your T5 questions....

David is "Mr. T5" in my book (which is still in the works).....

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 12-19-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 AM

Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Just saw this and THANKS for the kind words.
You are looking at yes, a "T6", and I bet it is an LR Baggs Element Active with the volume wheel in the soundhole. I have found that you CAN use electric strings and get good tone from both the LR Baggs and the Factory T5 electronics. I have a black T5 standard with the same set-up. I used to use the LR Baggs pickup some times but rarely do now, preferring the great T5 tone TAYLORPLAYER is talking about. The drop in output is because you are not using a balanced cable. If you use a balanced cable (XLR or balanced 1/4 cable) you will see noticeable output improvement, although it is not really necessary, depending on what amplification you use. You can also use a balanced to unbalanced transformer (XLR to 1/4") with a balanced cable if you need to go into an unbalanced input. You can have a lot of fun experimenting with different strings, (I still use Elixir 12-52 electrics and would suggest NOT going below that gauge unless you use a wound "G" string). The wound "G" makes a difference and since the guitar is a thin hollow-body, light strings with anything less than a 12-52 set, make the guitar thin and lifeless (IMHO of course). You can try acoustic strings and they will sound fine but I have found that the electric sets give you much more tonal versatility with the T5 electronics. Try out an A/B amp setup with an acoustic amp or PA AND an electric amp. It is the best of both worlds to play both setups together or to switch between.
One other suggestion is to take an electric amp and try a full range, PA cab as an extension speaker. Very cool tone for a T5. I have done this with my little MesaBoogie Subway Rocket and a 10" PA cab on a speaker stand, also works well with my Roland Cube60 amp and a 10" PA cab as an extension cab. I also ahve played through Bass amps, and like the Peavey Delta Blues guitar amp with the 15" speaker. Great tone for a T5. Remember the T5 is NOT a guitar for acoustic purists or someone looking for a strat/les paul substitute. It is a T5, and a whole different animal. That is why these alternative outside the box setups work well. You can also just plug the darn thing into a good tube and get a great clean and balanced tone.
Hope you have as much fun with it as we do here on the Forum.
Welcome and good luck,
davidc
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 AM

Thank you Thank you Thank you, Great help !!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion