The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Dead Flowers Cover critique...key question

So I've been experimenting with this song and I think I'm most comfortable in C....how pitchy is it/on/off key? Thanks for any advice.

https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/dead-flowers-cover
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 PM

I wouldn't change a thing. You sound relaxed and real. Nice!
Old 03-12-2017, 07:43 AM

Thanks mball....I tried doing the song in D. I'm not the greatest singer but It sounded better to me in C....my wife also said C but she is not the most objective person to ask. I can usually get straight answers on this forum. Thanks for your time.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Overall sounds pretty good. I don't hear bad pitch issues......but.....you sound bored, kind of a monotone delivery. I'd suggest working toward a more dynamic performance, put some heart and soul in it. Live the lyric when you sing!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 PM

I didn't have any pitch issues listening to the vocal. This is not a song where you need to be bang-on pitch-wise either.

I'm midway between the folks above who said "nice and relaxed" and "put more feeling into it". This song, and the song's narrator is a complex case. First off you've got Jagger/Richards' original, putting on their burlesque of Southern American culture. It's a weird inside/outside game to decide how much of that (darkly) humorous stance to take. What I hear in your performance is you taking and performing the song's story straight/serious. I think that can work, and can lead the song to places the Stones didn't quite take it.

One could play this song as an angry kiss off song. You'd need to put a little more sneer and disgust into it (including perhaps some self-disgust). You dumped me? I dumped you! And besides I don't need you anyway. And besides, that's nothing special, that just the way it always goes.

-OR-

You could follow up with your more laid-back feel. In this case you're leaning more on that "basement room with a needle and a spoon" verse. In which case your narrator is self-medicated beyond care, but hurt. There you'd need to play the hurt and numbness both. Not as showy a job, but tougher to do.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell