The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Not if it is through a third party insurer such as Heritage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
If I remember correctly, the insured amount does appear on the Fedex waybill so it would be easy for a thief to target valuable goods.

Sorry this has happened to one of your guitars, Jason -- but the good news is that no one was harmed and no one is starving as a result of this situation.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Thank you to everyone on here and on Facebook and the few other venues I have posted this for your help in watching for this guitar to hit the market. I actually spoke with the buyer the other day, and while he is upset that it happened, he is very pleased with how Robin handled the experience and has been able to secure a build slot for one of my guitars through a different dealer. Robin offers a trial period on all guitars, and this one was no exception. She takes the credit card information from the client, but nothing is charged until the end of the trial period when the client calls here and says "yes". As a result, this person was never charged for the guitar. Robin uses Heritage insurance, like most people in this industry, and they have been incredibly helpful and supportive, and the claim will be paid and Robin will get her money back as well. The client, while sad he didn't get this mahogany OO, is about as happy as one can be given the circumstances.

All of this, in my opinion, comes down to Robin at Guitar Gallery and how she handled all of this. Many people have views and preferences about shipping services like FEDEX, UPS, DHL and EMS, etc, and all have potential pros and cons. Courier services and hand delivery is always an option, but not one mant want to pay for. I pride myself on working with some of the finest dealers out there, and part of the reason is that I want to know that how they handle things would be the same way that I would handle it. They are representatives of myself and all those they choose to represent, and I don't take that lightly. In this situation, the outcome is incredibly unfortunate, but as Mau stated, no one got hurt, and everyone came out ok and I think that Robin did everything possible to make a frustrating situation very bearable.

The main reason that I posted this is to try and locate the guitar if it ever comes up for sale. I truly do not believe it will, as even an idiot would most likely do a quick google search to find out the value, and see that this would be a unique and difficult piece to sell. I could be wrong, but I don't expect to see it for a while. My hope is that whoever took the guitar will keep it and enjoy it for years to come instead of destroying it, and my second hope is that one day I will get to meet this person and have a nice, private interaction with them!

I know these things happen more than they should in this world, but I just wanted to say "Thank you" to all of you in trying to come together and make something right. I will let you know if the guitar ever shows up again, but as always, it is very refreshing to be a part of such a great group of people.

Respectfully,

Jason
Old 01-14-2017, 09:40 PM

Jason, for my own memory banks so I know. Do you know after such a horrible things happens if Fedex is liable? it would seem to me that if the instrument, regardless if it was dropped off to a person, or using their night drop, that after it goes into their hands that it is their liability? or is there some fine print that absolves them? Thanks for any info, and of course so sorry to hear about this.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:43 AM

I'm calling Heritage Monday morning. I've rolled the dice many times with shipping. (MANY times) I've always made out well, but reading these stories terrifies me.

I'm happy that it seems to have gone as well as possible, so far. I still hope it turns up! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

On a lighter note, do you think it's on the dc10 with Tom Hanks and Wilson?

All kidding aside, I. Will be on the lookout.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 AM

For this very reason, my company ships things to customer without any logos, and only the company's initials on the labels and any documentation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstick View Post
For this very reason, my company ships things to customer without any logos, and only the company's initials on the labels and any documentation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, guitar boxes are pretty much a dead giveaway and in such cases like this, the builders name only confirms the contents of the "giveaway "

I sweat bullets just about every week until my builders confirm the safe arrival of their instruments.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:52 AM

The cynical part of me says "Inside job". Fedex might have someone they could look into.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkostal View Post
The main reason that I posted this is to try and locate the guitar if it ever comes up for sale. I truly do not believe it will, as even an idiot would most likely do a quick google search to find out the value, and see that this would be a unique and difficult piece to sell. I could be wrong, but I don't expect to see it for a while. My hope is that whoever took the guitar will keep it and enjoy it for years to come instead of destroying it, and my second hope is that one day I will get to meet this person and have a nice, private interaction with them!
Jason - there's no shortage of idiots in the world, so it's quite possible that it may turn up. A bass builder I know well once had an instrument stolen out of his booth at NAMM. It happened overnight. Turns out, it was one of the security guards. As to how he was caught...well, he took it the next day to the nearest bass shop, which deals the brand, and tried to sell it to them for cash, without a case. Italics for emphasis.
One phone call from the shop to the builder and the cops were on the way, while the guy patiently waited for the "manager" to name his buying price.

Fancying oneself smart enough to steal something doesn't mean one is actually smart enough to deal with owning/selling it.
It's rare that I wish for more idiots in the world, rather than less - but let's wish for one more in this case, so your guitar will turn up undamaged.

Best,
Martin
Old 02-03-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Artisan Guitars had a vintage Martin disappear just before Xmas. I'm not sure if it was ever recovered. While two does not really make a pattern, it does make one wonder.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM

From Guitar Gallery:

Guitar Gallery TN fête la réussite.
1 h ·

Great news, the thief who stole 2 guitars from us, while they were in Fedex possession in December, was arrested this morning.
Whoo Hoo! Justice has been served!

YES!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Put them in the Iron Maiden! (bonus points if you can name the movie reference.)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Put them in the Iron Maiden! (bonus points if you can name the movie reference.)
excellent!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenbenben View Post
From Guitar Gallery:

Guitar Gallery TN fête la réussite.
1 h ·

Great news, the thief who stole 2 guitars from us, while they were in Fedex possession in December, was arrested this morning.
Whoo Hoo! Justice has been served!

YES!
that is excellent news

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Thief arrested is good, but were the guitars recovered?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop