The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Dead sounding second string

I have a guitar (happens to be a jumbo) where the second string sounds dead. All the others sound normally bright, but the second string is more like a thud; it just doesn't ring, particularly compared to the nearby 1st string.
I put on a different string, but have the same result. Any thoughts on where to start looking?

The string seems to be making good contact with the saddle and I'm a little mystified as to where else to check.

Ideas?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 AM

Check if the nut slot is squeezing the string. Did you go from lights to mediums?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 AM

+1 a little graphite might help. The poor man's trick would be to scribble over the slot with a pencil or you could use some "liquid" graphite from a locksmith.

Also, check to see if you've got a rough edge on that portion of your saddle and if the bridge pin is not allowing you to pull the ball end all the way up against the bridge plate. In the case of the latter I'd look into the option of slotting the pin holes.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 AM

If the sound persists when you fret the string the problem is most likely at the bridge or saddle, if it goes away when you fret, it points at the nut.

Usually caused by poor contact:
Groove in the saddle,
saddle too flat no crown
poor seating of ball end
nut slot too tight or too loose
nut slot ramped down at break point allowing string to "fuzz" in the slot
excessively low break angle at the saddle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair